extra paragraph mark inserted between pageBreak & heading st

diana
3StarLounger

extra paragraph mark inserted between pageBreak & heading st

Post by diana »

Word 2007 - on doc open an extra paragraph mark is inserted between page breaks & heading style

I’ve a Word template with custom heading style ‘Section Heading’

The issue:
When you create a new document from the template, edit save and close
On document open an additional paragraph mark is inserted between the page break and heading style

Depending on how I’ve inserted the page break and applied heading style determines format of the paragraph mark. eg
1. If I delete the page break
2. Select text and apply Normal style
3. Insert page break
4. Select text and apply Section Heading
5. The results: page break and additional paragraph mark are heading style ‘Normal’

or
1. If I delete the page break
2. Select text and apply Normal style
3. Select text and apply Section Heading
4. Insert page break
5. The results: page break and additional paragraph mark are heading style ‘Section Heading’

See screen capture.

I can fix in the document. However the cause is somewhere in the original template.

I’ve applied the following solutions without success. Still the same issue of an extra paragraph is inserted between page break and heading style
• Repair the template
• Delete the heading style, recreate the heading style ‘Section Heading’
• Create the template from scratch, create new heading style ‘Section Heading’

Ive attached a sample template
Note: Ive had to remove graphic objects due to file size attachment limit

Any ideas :scratch:

dd
Word 2007 page breaks before custom heading style on doc open inserts a paragraph mark.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: extra paragraph mark inserted between pageBreak & headin

Post by HansV »

I can't reproduce the problem in Word 2010. No paragraph marks are inserted when I edit, save, close and reopen a document based on your template.

Perhaps someone who has Word 2007 can test it.
Best wishes,
Hans

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

doh!

thank you anyway Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I opened the sample document in Word 2007 and, like Hans, I didn't see any paragraph marks between the page breaks and the Section Heading paragraphs.

I'd suggest, though, that you modify the Section Heading style in the template (and again in any existing documents based on the template) to include the paragraph property "Page break before". Then delete all the hard page breaks that exist before Section Heading paragraphs. The visible result will be the same (a new page each time a Section Heading paragraph appears) but there won't be any odd problems with spacing at the top of the page.

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

Thanks Jay

Yes ive done that and it works.

However in the past with Heading styles formatted with Page Break before, the users arent familiar with heading styles formatting and were deleting all sorts of things to move the heading style.
Therefore for ease of use of user I would prefer to not format heading style with Page Break before