Reset Bullets & Numbering

Robie
5StarLounger

Reset Bullets & Numbering

Post by Robie »

I have created a template based on Normal.dot. This is sort of in conjunction with other template but sufficiantly different.

If I then reset *all* the gallery in 'Bullets and Numbering', would this be reflected in Normal.dot or my template? Looked into MS site couldn't see anything to tell me that.

I only want to make the changes so that they are reflected in my template only *not* Normal.dot. I don't want to touch Normal.dot settings as I am still defining styles etc.

Actually, it is possible to copy this Bullets and Numbering gallery settings from another template, thus rewriting them all?
BandNreset.png
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Reset Bullets & Numbering

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Robie wrote:Thanks.
I posted a collection of links Here
Basically, List Numbering is broken up to 2003; I can't speak for 2007/2010.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think list templates (bullets, numbering and outline numbering) are stored in the registry, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

Manipulating list templates is one of the hairiest aspects of Word, in my opinion...
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

Thank you both.

So it is *not* template dependent (I hoping it would be so that I could reset them all and create a fresh gallery as I want). A a gallery exists in registry (or some place) that Word uses for all documents - doesn't matter which template is loaded. So basically I am @#$*ed. Oh! how Word frustrates :-(.

Chris: I will look at your links next week now.

Have a good weekend all.

Guessed
2StarLounger

Post by Guessed »

List numbering should always be controlled with VBA. If you turn on the VBA recorder and visit the Outline numbering customize button then you can record hundreds of lines of VBA code which defines the outline level entry. Once you have that code, you can run it on another document or template to set the list in that document too. You can also edit the code to make it far more succinct by integrating a loop for the nine levels.

I have used templates for a long time with outline level lists and always apply numbered styles with the inclusion of a macro that redefines the outline numbering for that style series. This ensures that if the list numbering did get confused, it can be immediately fixed by running the macro again.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia