Making Macbook a FTP Server with Lion

jstevens
GoldLounger

Making Macbook a FTP Server with Lion

Post by jstevens »

I am traveling quite a bit lately and would like to make my Macbook capable of becoming a FTP server. I have searched the web and found many sites that address this.

I have not had any success.

So far I have turned on the FTP services, found out what my IPAddress is and have access to the Internet from a hotel wireless service.

Any suggestions would be greately appreciated as this seems easy enough. My goal is to be able to share photos with family while I am traveling via the Macbook.

Thank you,
John
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Re: Making Macbook a FTP Server with Lion

Post by HansV »

I cannot answer your question, but why don't you use a free service such as Google's Picasa Web Albums? You can upload photos to "web albums", and you get to specify who can access the pictures in an album: everyone, only people you send a link to, or just you.
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Hans,

I guess I've been on the road too long. I was not aware the the free service (1GB storage) is available.

Call me a sceptic but nothing in life is free. What is the catch (advertisements)?

Regards,
John
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Not sure - PicasaWeb appears to be free of advertisements.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jstevens wrote:Hans,

I guess I've been on the road too long. I was not aware the the free service (1GB storage) is available.

Call me a sceptic but nothing in life is free. What is the catch (advertisements)?

Regards,
John
I've only tinkered with Picasa's web albums but I've not seen it pushes ads. It also integrates well with Google's Blogger, another plus without an obvious minus.

Presumably the catch is that Google learns more about your interests and surfing habits, which may or may not help others to target ads at you.

Ken