Anyone tried Knoppix 6.2?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Anyone tried Knoppix 6.2?

Post by John Gray »

I've downloaded the ISO and burnt it to CD. When I boot from it on a laptop, all the usual messages seem to appear, then the screen goes blank. There is some more reading of the CD which goes on for about 20-30 seconds, but this stops. Nothing else happens...

Any thoughts?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Anyone tried Knoppix 6.2?

Post by John Gray »

I've now tried Knoppix 5.1, and it worked fine! But you realise just how spoilt we Windows chaps are with Windows Explorer (yes!) because the Linux equivalent, Konqueror, looks like it was current in the days of Windows 3.1, and is just as non-intuitive. And it's really helpful to find that you can't actually write to a USB Flash Drive without first changing the permissions on it...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have used Knoppix, just not that particular version, and I concur with your opinion of Konqueror.
StuartR

StoneChucker
StarLounger

Post by StoneChucker »

The permissions on the USB drive are set in Knoppix as read-only by design. As for Konqueror being like an early Windows 3.1 version of Explorer, well, I'll have to take your word for it. I haven't used the KDE Desktop environment for ages. I've been using Gnome for the last 4 years.

As for your booting issue, there may be a setting you need to invoke at boot time (on a command line) to enable your display properly. Look for an instruction for pressing F1 (or similar) for other boot options.

Christopher