Printing from a Chrome Book to a Windows printer

Post by John Gray »

Situation:

Wireless Router
connected via ethernet patch cable to
Windows 7 PC
connected via USB cable to
non-wireless Brother laser printer
This laser printer is set up as "shared" on the printer driver on the PC (but this makes no difference)

The Windows 7 PC prints quite happily to the laser printer.

Along comes a Chrome Book which cheerfully connects wirelessly to The Internet, but under "Google Cloud Print" -> "Manage" the Chrome Book cannot see any printers.
If I connect the Chrome Book via a USB cable direct to the laser printer it can see it.

My question is:
is there any way I can get the Chrome Book to print 'wirelessly' via the Windows 7 PC to the laser printer?

If so, how, and would I need any more hardware?

Thanks!
John Gray

Think how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of the population are stupider than that.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Printing from a Chrome Book to a Windows printer

Post by Rudi »

Hi John,

See if you can get anything from this link...
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!top ... BjYjtl0kEE
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Hi Rudi

That's a good link, from which I conclude that I would need to give the PC a wireless connection, purely for the Chrome Book!

Thanks again
John Gray

Think how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of the population are stupider than that.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

There's also this page https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1069693?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which only specifies "...a classic printer that is plugged into a Windows or Mac computer with Internet access..."

As I'm a bloody-minded sort of soul, I installed Chrubuntu on my Acer C710 chromebook. This prints nicely to my Brother printer which is a network printer. An option to consider, is whether or not the wireless router has a usb socket that the printer could be plugged into, essentially making it a print server.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, John - the link you gave is to the 'crib sheet' which I was using to try to get things to work! The problem is that the Chromebook cannot see any printer, which I find rather limiting...

The router doesn't have a USB socket. Come to that, I've never seen a router with a USB socket, but they do exist.
John Gray