desktop icons titles

tomyrush
2StarLounger

desktop icons titles

Post by tomyrush »

This could be an early sign of Alzheimers but I hope not.

Yesterday I had an update from Microsoft - not sure why it was off of "Patch Tuesday" - everything seemed to go OK and last night all of my malware stuff ran with no reported problems. I am completely up to date on XP fixes.

This morning's "cup of coffee" run to check Ellens Lounge, fox news, cnn, ... for new and interesting things, brought a problem to light. As I said this could be Alzheimers, but here is the story!

When I woke up the computer from it's sleep screen (the one that says 2 programs running and 15 unread emails) I got a surprise. All of the titles under the desktop icons had a deep blue background which is several shades darker than the normal MS XP blue desktop. I swear that BEFORE, the titles under the icons had an opaque background so that the titles seemed to float on the desk top.

I have looked around to see if there was a setting that might have changed, but was unable to find anything.

This is certainly not a critical problem, but I just wanted to see if anyone knew a setting I could use to change the background on the desktop icons back to opaque.

Thanks
Tom

HansV
Administrator

Re: desktop icons titles

Post by HansV »

It looks like a setting changed spontaneously (this can happen, sometimes a bit falls over...). Try the following to restore the original setting:

- Open the System control panel.
- Activate the Advanced tab.
- Click Settings in the Performance section.
- Make sure that the check box "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is ticked.
- Click OK.

Post back if this doesn't help.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

tomyrush wrote:When I woke up the computer from it's sleep screen (the one that says 2 programs running and 15 unread emails) I got a surprise. All of the titles under the desktop icons had a deep blue background which is several shades darker than the normal MS XP blue desktop. I swear that BEFORE, the titles under the icons had an opaque background so that the titles seemed to float on the desk top.

Thanks
Tom
Have you tried rebooting?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

Hans - I checked the system settings and drop shadows is checked.

Bob - I just rebooted and no change

As I said this isn't a big problem, I was just hoping there was a setting that was screwed up

Thanks to both of you - any other suggestions are welcomed

Tom

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Also try this:
- Open the Display Properties control panel.
- Activate the Desktop tab.
- Click Customize Desktop...
- Activate the Web tab.
- Make sure that the "Lock desktop items" check box is clear.
- Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

lock desktop items is clear (not checked)

Tom

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry, I'm out of ideas... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This looks like it may be one of those occasions when System Restore is your friend.

Seriously, if you can't find what caused this then you could just use system restore to get back to a point where it worked properly.
StuartR

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

thanks for taking the time to look at this and think about it

If I have another problem (that is bigger than this one) I will try system restore

Tom

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

tomyrush wrote:...If I have another problem (that is bigger than this one) I will try system restore
It's best to do the system restore quickly, don't wait till you have made lots of other changes that you may want to keep.
StuartR

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:It looks like a setting changed spontaneously (this can happen, sometimes a bit falls over...). Try the following to restore the original setting:

- Open the System control panel.
- Activate the Advanced tab.
- Click Settings in the Performance section.
- Make sure that the check box "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is ticked.
- Click OK.

Post back if this doesn't help.
Hans,may I butt in here?
I see no Advanced tab in my control panel, I'm using the Classic View.
I found the check box you referred to and it's already checked. I want the translucent view under my desktop icons. Mine are dark blue and opaque.

How can I institute that option?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria, did you open the System control panel? That's where you should see the Advanced tab.
You can open System from Start | Control Panel or by right-clicking the My Computer icon on your desktop and selecting Properties from the popup menu.
system_properties_general.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Yes Hans, I found it.
Thank you very much.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

tomyrush wrote:Hans - I checked the system settings and drop shadows is checked. [...]
Have you tried to toggle the settings? I.e. switching from the setting you have to another and then back; for example selecting "Adjust For Best Performance", will turn off the drop shadows (and everything else) and then changing back to "Adjust For Best Appearance" or "Let Windows Choose What’s Best For My Computer".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

tomyrush wrote:...... All of the titles under the desktop icons had a deep blue background which is several shades darker than the normal MS XP blue desktop. I swear that BEFORE, the titles under the icons had an opaque background so that the titles seemed to float on the desk top.

I have looked around to see if there was a setting that might have changed, but was unable to find anything.

This is certainly not a critical problem, but I just wanted to see if anyone knew a setting I could use to change the background on the desktop icons back to opaque.

Thanks
Tom
Check the Display Properties window (right click open area of desktop & select properties) on the Desktop tab to be certain the color box in the lower right corner is showing the correct color. Then on the Appearance tab check to be certain the Color Scheme is set to Default Blue and then click on the Effects button and check to see that the Show Shadows Under Menus is checked. HTH :smile:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

tomyrush
2StarLounger

Post by tomyrush »

Doc
Everything checks out as you discuss

Thanks
Tom

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

I too am out of ideas.

Why are you so reluctant to do a System Restore (Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> System Restore ??
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.