Sys 32

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Sys 32

Post by Dave Davison »

suddenly when booting up I get the attached message on a blacked out screen, what might have precipitated this and how can it be prevented from happening please. :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Sys 32

Post by stuck »

What's behind the command box? Your normal desktop?

If so, just close the command prompt window using the X in the top right and then look in your Start Menu, specifically in All Programs | Startup. Is there an entry in there for Command Prompt? If so right click on it and delete it.

However, if the command prompt is all you get on boot, i.e. it's not a normal window on an otherwise normal desktop then I suspect something serious has happened but I've no idea what.

Ken
Last edited by stuck on 09 Mar 2012, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you don't already have it, download and install the free WhatInStartup utility.
When you run it, it will show you all programs that start automatically when you start Windows. Hopefully it will give you a clue. If you find the culprit, WhatInStartup lets you disable it.

Also run a full scan with your favorite anti-virus/anti-malware program.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sheesh, I had this happen once but it's been a long time ago. The WhatInStartup is the right choice. It might take some further digging into what IS starting.

Seems to me mine was some legit program that was doing something valid on startup but "forgetting" to close the CMD prompt window. I wish I could remember more...

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Yes Ken, the normal desktop is behind the Command box I only took a Faststone capture of it by itself to save size. I do have Whatinstartup and show a shot of what it shows. maybe it will reveal something to your guys that means nothing to me. Would it be prudent to delete any of those shown please? Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Disable the GEST line and reboot. I'm not sure what the fsm line does, either...

There's a whole bunch of other stuff that I'd disable, but it wouldn't cause the problem with CMD.EXE.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.