Driver Update

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Driver Update

Post by E_OGRADY »

I downloaded Driver Detective and ran the software successfully, it indicated that my nForce was out of date.
I went to the nVidia site and downloaded the file
15.45_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe
I ran this file and got to the stage where I received the following message
Setup Error Message.gif
I have no idea what software to uninstall, I attach a copy of the nVidia Add/Remove components from Control Panel
Control Panel Installed Components.gif
I have also gone to Device Manager and Uninstalled the Driver for the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller. The system currently is only on a wireless Network
Driver Uninstalled.gif
What software needs to be uninstalled?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Driver Update

Post by HansV »

Please ignore the advice of Driver Detective, it is completely wrong. The 15.45 driver was released on 10/01/2009, while the version that you currently have (285.58) is from 10/24/2011, so more than two years newer!

In general, unless you have problems with the way some applications are displayed, don't bother upgrading your graphics driver. Updates are mostly meant to make the newest games run.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

E_OGRADY wrote:I downloaded Driver Detective and ran the software successfully, it indicated that my nForce was out of date.
I went to the nVidia site and downloaded the file
15.45_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe
I ran this file and got to the stage where I received the following message
Setup Error Message.gif
I have no idea what software to uninstall, I attach a copy of the nVidia Add/Remove components from Control Panel
Control Panel Installed Components.gif
I have also gone to Device Manager and Uninstalled the Driver for the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller. The system currently is only on a wireless Network
Driver Uninstalled.gif
What software needs to be uninstalled?
If you go to Nvidia Website using Internet Explorer, it has a feature that auto detects your currently installed graphics and display drivers. If you find your drivers are out of date and want to update them, post back.
I had, for reasons unknown forgot to update my graphics driver, this caused my pc to freeze on the UAC screen when using Winamp and opening a program needing UAC permission.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thank you HansV (again) Do you know of any driver update program that could assess my Desktop? I have had problems for a couple of months, which have been made worse by my relocation, I have removed the RAID card and have cleaned many problems. There seems to only be an occasional driver problem indicated not by a BSOD but on some boots a dialogue box that states the system has recovered from a serious problem and drivers need to be updated (not specific enough to indicate which) hence my use of Driver Detective
Last edited by E_OGRADY on 23 Nov 2011, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thank you Roderunner, please also see my reply to HansV, I cannot see the page you suggest, would you be so kind as to locate the URL?
Thanking you in anticipation

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I do not update drivers unless I have a hardware problem, due to a driver malfunction.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I hope someone else can help you with this, I don't use driver check software.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

E_OGRADY wrote:Thank you Roderunner, please also see my reply to HansV, I cannot see the page you suggest, would you be so kind as to locate the URL?
Thanking you in anticipation
This is the page UK Site http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thank you Roderunner, will start the Desktop computer and will let you know the results

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thank you Roderunner, have found the drivers on the nVidia site, unfortunately the same result, the graphic is the error message. I would have no idea of what to delete, any help please
error message.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

E_OGRADY wrote:Thank you Roderunner, have found the drivers on the nVidia site, unfortunately the same result, the graphic is the error message. I would have no idea of what to delete, any help please
error message.gif
This will help
Nvidia.pdf
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Did you uninstall the drivers as the error message tells you to do?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

No Dave, what I am trying to establish is what needs to be uninstalled. If you refer to the graphic in the original post I have pasted a clip of Control Panel>Add Remove but only those with nVidia in their title, I am very reluctant to remove anything that will make the system worse. To add to my woes I am in transit between homes and most of my computer gear is in storage (no original disks etc.) I do not get possession of my new home until mid February and I will guarantee the my partner will want other things fixed before computers. She loves them when and only when they work.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

E_OGRADY wrote:No Dave, what I am trying to establish is what needs to be uninstalled. If you refer to the graphic in the original post I have pasted a clip of Control Panel>Add Remove but only those with nVidia in their title, I am very reluctant to remove anything that will make the system worse. To add to my woes I am in transit between homes and most of my computer gear is in storage (no original disks etc.) I do not get possession of my new home until mid February and I will guarantee the my partner will want other things fixed before computers. She loves them when and only when they work.
I would delete the first two items on your list , that actually refer to Drivers. Then try the reinstall.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

I have decided that to do anything at this time with regard to my circumstances would be risky. When I get into my new home and hopefully get decent access to the web I will revisit the issue. The system has an occasional spit of the dummy and I would rather live with that than lose access to the data.
My very sincere thanks to all who have helped