Playing DVD's on Windows XP

RonH
SilverLounger

Playing DVD's on Windows XP

Post by RonH »

Friend of mine asks ... how can I play a dvd on my Windows XP pc?
I have no knowledge of XP but having read some of the 'search information' it seems that the Windows Media Player does not play dvd's unless one downloads a suitable 'codec'. What is the best 'free codec' for them to download to play MPEG or is it best to download eg something like VideoLan?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Playing DVD's on Windows XP

Post by HansV »

If your computer came with a built-in DVD player, chances are that you already have the required DVD decoder.
If not, you'll either need to purchase a DVD decoder, which will let you play DVDs in any media player, or install the free VLC Player from VideoLAN, which comes with its own DVD software (you won't be able to play DVDs in other media players than the VLC player).
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thaks Hans for your confirmation ... have sent the info onto my XP friends.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Just to fill in your background on the subject, here's a thread about a couple of codec packages: Codec Comparison

You'll see my observation in that thread that I now play all kinds of music and videos with Windows Media Player, some of which did not do so prior.

And I DO play movie DVDs in WMP so I know it works.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Al, are you sure you couldn't play DVDs in Windows Media Player before installing a codec pack?
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

No, no Hans. Sorry for the liguistic confusion. I've always been able to play DVD movies in WMP. The reason I added a codec package was "other stuff" that I couldn't play without a third party program, such as .FLV files and others.

I meant my post only as an encouragement to try one of the two codec packages. I think it helps to eliminate the need for other programs.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Am I understanding from the above that some WMP in XP can play dvd's without adding codec's or installing an alternative player such as VLC Player? Sounds strange that different WMP versions were pre- installed on WindowsXP.
And is it possible to simply install the K-Lite codec pack (or other) onto XP WMP to play dvd's? :scratch:

I am now confused ( :clapping: stop cheering!) and don't want to give my non-tech friends incorrect information.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It doesn't depend on the version of Windows Media Player. By itself, Windows Media Player can't play DVDs. BUT... if your computer came with a DVD reader or DVD reader/writer, the software needed to play DVDs will most probably have been installed with it. And if you buy a DVD reader or DVD reader/writer, it will probably include such software.

As far as I know, the K-Lite codec pack does not include a DVD decoder. Most DVD decoders are not free, but DVD Decoder Pack claims to be freeware. Tell your friend to watch out for extra toolbars etc. if he decides to install it.
Best wishes,
Hans