Why do I lose my wallpaper?

johbot
2StarLounger

Why do I lose my wallpaper?

Post by johbot »

On my XP machine (all patched to the hilt) I sometimes lose my wallpaper and don't know why.

I lost it today. That was after I updated Firefox and updated and ran Spybot. I can do these things many times on any other machine and there are no dise effects, so why would I lose my wallpaper on one machine?

Johanna

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Why do I lose my wallpaper?

Post by John Gray »

Do you mean that the wallpaper file itself has been deleted, or that the file is still present but is not being used for wallpaper?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Hi John,

I mean that the wallpaper file itself is present, but is no longer being used for wallpaper.

Johanna

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

You're not using Active Desktop, or an HTML file as the wallpaper? Googling shows that these could cause that effect.

The other comment I found was that "things may stay as they are after you reset them" - helpful!

Otherwise the second entry in the "W" page of Kelly's Korner might assist... (Beware that that link takes you to the "A" page, annoyingly.)
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Hi John,
No, no active desktop, nor HTML file. The file is an image that 'lives' on the hard drive.

I'll try Kelly's advice.

I may not be able to post back the effect of the registry change, though. The problem is intermittent and there can be long periods of time between instances. But if it doesn't work, I'll be back.

Johanna

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Otherwise the second entry in the "W" page ...
Thanks John, and JohBot. I've had this problem on my Big Beige Box for about 8 months, and it's not been a big hassle because I'm usually using the monitor on my laptop (I have a KVM switch).
I've just created the NoChangingWallPaper under Current User, and will be pleased if I see wallpaper again!
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

mbarron
2StarLounger

Post by mbarron »

When I used Window's Virtual Desktop Manager (the XP power tool) my wallpaper got stripped off. Dumped it after that.