My WinXP Thinks It Has a New Device

BobH
UraniumLounger

My WinXP Thinks It Has a New Device

Post by BobH »

Some time within the last week, my laptop running WinXP Pro SP3 has been showing the New Device Found panel on startup. There are NO new hardware devices installed. I can dismiss the wizard panel but it reappears on the next boot. When I look at the Device Manager, I see a device with a yellow question mark. I have uninstalled the unknown device but it reappears the next time I boot.

Can someone tell me what might be at play here?

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: My WinXP Thinks It Has a New Device

Post by Bigaldoc »

Can you give us a screenshot of what you see in Device Manager? Don't know if it'll help, but ...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, BigAl!

I made a SS of the Device Manager. Do I have to post the file somewhere and point to it or can we attach pics to our posts? If the latter, how? If the former, what photo site do you recommend?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

BobH wrote:Thanks, BigAl!

I made a SS of the Device Manager. Do I have to post the file somewhere and point to it or can we attach pics to our posts? If the latter, how? If the former, what photo site do you recommend?
You can indeed attach a picture in the full editor like so:
attach.gif

hope this helps,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Claude.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I've uninstalled the unrecognized device several times but when I boot up - with no devices attached to the laptop - it reappears as does the Unknown Device wizard panel.

I often attach my iPhone4 and my WD Passport external HDD and bypass the wizard and navigate using program file options or Windows File Explorer. I've never had this persistent 'new device' notification before.

I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 fully updated on an HP 530 Notebook computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

whenever I have similar problems on my laptop, I unplug the power source and shut it down, remove the battery and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. Restarting after putting the battery back in generally fixes the problems. Alas, don't ask why it works, I have no idea :crazy:
Cheers, Claude.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Claude!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:I've uninstalled the unrecognized device several times ...
Advice was given to me long ago by one of the Admins that a .PNG screenshot is easier to read onscreen than a .JPG (where TEXT is the primary content) and I usually crop out the empty space like so:

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Maybe not applicable in your case, but a laptop I had would occasionally signal a new USB device, or a device not working, which I eventually tracked down to being the DVD drive. From memory, I think the drive was removable, hence showing up as a USB device, but I can't remember what the final outcome/solution was...
Leif

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

BobH wrote:Some time within the last week, my laptop running WinXP Pro SP3 has been showing the New Device Found panel on startup. There are NO new hardware devices installed. I can dismiss the wizard panel but it reappears on the next boot. When I look at the Device Manager, I see a device with a yellow question mark. I have uninstalled the unknown device but it reappears the next time I boot.

Can someone tell me what might be at play here?

TIA
"Can someone tell me what might be at play here?" - Windows... Microsoft ??? :evilgrin:

Seriously, as others have noted, the "what" may never be determined here. Have you tried a System Restore to a time before the problem started ??
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Is this better, BigAl?

I have not yet done a System Restore in hopes of finding the cause and avoiding the same problem in the future. Restoring will simply make the problem go away and I will have learned nothing (and not for the first time,either :sad: )
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

BobH wrote:Is this better, BigAl?

I have not yet done a System Restore in hopes of finding the cause and avoiding the same problem in the future. Restoring will simply make the problem go away and I will have learned nothing (and not for the first time,either :sad: )
I understand your reluctance, but there are many times in the "Windows World" that the reason is not worth the research. This sounds like one of those times.

Windows OS's are notorious for "features" that do strange and often unwanted things for no apparent reason. Often the best "remedy" for these is to make them go away and forget they ever happened. (until they happen again, of course. :wink: )
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have run into this on several machines, most have a "Memory Stick" slot and for some reason the driver has been lost.
Check with the OEM of this machine, and see if there are any divers for a memory stick.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:Is this better, BigAl?

Well, it doesn't help much just looking at the question mark. :smile: Since Windows XP SP2 it's possible to view the "advanced details" in the properties for the different devices (without using an environment variable). What do you see in the properties' Details tab, if look at the Device Instance Id? It could be as Dave says, or Leif, or Doc, etc. but with a little more information perhaps some knowledge can be gathered.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Just to follow up with a post telling how I resolved the problem.

After Argus suggested that I look at the details on the device (duh!), I discovered the driver ID that was causing the flagging. I did a simple Update Driver from the web; and upon completing it, the problem went away. I did google the driver id before updating and found many different complaints involving this driver ID but on a plethora of different machines.

Anyway, just wanted to close the loop on this one and post my results in case they should help someone else.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Way To Go, Bob! Glad you found the solution and thanks for posting.