Warning on XP

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Warning on XP

Post by Skitterbug »

My daughter sent the pic that is attached, asking what the error message means. I've searched the web but the information I found doesn't mean much to me. Is this an error that she needs to be concerned about? She said that her laptop is working just fine in spite of the message.

In case the pic I've included doesn't come through: It says at the top McaMaster and the message is: DCS Service can not start! And then the command button says OK.

I'm wondering if she needs to go into the admin/services and restart a "service"? Or maybe nothing needs doing. This is the first time she has seen this one.

Any ideas will be appreciated. You can tell I am totally lost on this one.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Warning on XP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The only full match I could find with this is the thread https://windowsforum.com/threads/dcs-se ... art.79617/, which doesn't have a solution, just some things to look at.

According to http://systemexplorer.net/file-database ... master-exe, mcamaster.exe is an executable for some program called Configuration Center. There are several third-party programs with that name, but none of them seem likely to be on your daughter's computer unless it was installed by some other software. The first reply in the WindowsForum thread gives good advice for trying to find out where this program comes from.

One other suggestion is to use AutoRuns to find out why the program is trying to start, and disable it. Either some other program will complain, or else the error message will just stop appearing.

Until you know what it's for, you probably don't need to do anything.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: Warning on XP

Post by Skitterbug »

Hi Jay - Thank you for your reply and supplying links to information that may be useful. Since I haven't seen our daughter's laptop, I am not able to check what may be running, etc. just yet. She did say this evening that it seemed slow compared to what it used to be. So hopefully, she'll let me look at it while she is at her work. If I do find what the issue is, I'll post back to let the group know! :smile:

Thank you!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.