Power point in XP

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Power point in XP

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi.........my desktop has given up the ghost so I am resorting to an ancient (painfully slow) laptop running XP Home Edition, Version2002; service pack 3 but is has no power point option. Did that version not have the said prog? If so can it be downloaded please? Thanx Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Power point in XP

Post by HansV »

PowerPoint is not part of Microsoft Windows, but of Microsoft Office - a separate purchase. If you don't have Office on the Windows XP Home computer, you won't have PowerPoint. Do you have an Office installation CD and a license key for it?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Hans..........the ancient laptop I have been reduced to does not have M Office and I do not have an installation disc so must wait till I replace the defunct computer with a refurbished one which will - I expect - come with it installed. Cheers & thanx. Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you need a presentation program in the meantime, you could download and install LibreOffice. It's free, and its presentation program Impress can open and save PowerPoint presentations,
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If all you need to do is view presentations you could install PowerPoint Viewer 2007.

Joe
Joe

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:If you need a presentation program in the meantime, you could download and install LibreOffice. It's free, and its presentation program Impress can open and save PowerPoint presentations,
...or OpenOffice... :grin: (It's always good to have choices!)

...and just in case anyone is now confused...read here - Apache-Openoffice 4-vs-Libreoffice 4.1
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:...a refurbished one which will - I expect - come with it installed.
Not sure sure you should expect that. It will depend on nature of the refurbishment. You will need to check before you part with any money.

1) At rock bottom you could buy just hardware, with no operating system and no applications installed.
2) Next up would be to buy a PC with an operating system installed.
3) Top of the range would be a PC with an operating system AND applications installed.

If you want to use Microsoft products then both the operating system (at least Win 7, no point getting XP because it reaches it's end of life in early April 2014) AND the applications (MS Office, comprising Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) will cost you money.

However, as Hans and Rudi have already mentioned, there are completely free alternatives to MS Office.

Ken
PS For the sake of completeness I must mention that there is also a completely free alternative to Microsoft's operating systems as well (namely Linux) but I wouldn't recommend that option for you.