Keyboard shortcut for FaststoneCapture

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Keyboard shortcut for FaststoneCapture

Post by Dave Davison »

[ http://www.gadwin.com/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] (free edition). Reading the latest edition of Computeractive Imagazine I have just learned of "Gadwin" one of the many alternative screen shot app's to FastStone capture and note it can be assigned a keybord shortcut to activate it, I would be interested to know if is it possible to assign a similar shortcut for the latter or any prog for that matter? Regards Dave.

Leif
Administrator

Re: Keyboard shortcut for FaststoneCapture

Post by Leif »

The PrntScrn key is commonly used as a shortcut for screen-grabbers - does the documentation (or any accompany Help) not tell you anything about assigning a shortcut?
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Click the last button in the FastStone Capture window, and select Settings from the dropdown menu.
Activate the Hotkeys tab of the Settings dialog.
x.png
Click on one of the keyboard shortcuts to change it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the replies gents, perhaps I should start again and be more precise. As the screen shot of the Sys tray shows, the first icon on the left is that of "Faststone Capture" whilst the second relates to Gadwin & it will be seen that with the cursor positioned over the latter, it indicates that [with a photo /file on screen -part of which I wish to select] by simply hitting Ctrl + F9 brings the cutting tool to focus. Just wondered if a similar keyboard shortcut could be assigned to Fastone to open it and bring it's various options frame to focus without having to click the icon in the sys tray? . Hope that is clearer. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm not sure I understand the whole question, Dave, but given the clip Hans showed, I have the shortcuts assigned as per his clip.

Most of the time, I want to capture an area I select in the screen, so I simply hit CTRL-PRINT SCREEN and my mouse then becomes the selector for the square or rectangle I want to select. I never even open the Faststone window that YOU showed. It isn't necessary.

The only time I ever use the tray item is for right-click to edit a clip - adding my red boxes or such.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I can't imagine why you want to do this, but if you have a link to Faststone Capture in your start menu then you can add a shortcut key there.
ShortcutKey.png
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

StuartR wrote:I can't imagine why you want to do this, but if you have a link to Faststone Capture in your start menu then you can add a shortcut key there.
I don't think he's asking how to run/execute, Stuart. I believe he's asking a "utilisation" question, given that Faststone Capture is already running (see his shot of the tray).

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Al,

I understood the question. I checked that executing the shortcut when the application was already in the system tray did what I expected before I posted my suggestion. When you run Faststone Capture a second time it just activates the existing instance.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

[quote="Dave Davison"]As the screen shot of the Sys tray shows, the first icon on the left is that of "Faststone Capture" whilst the second relates to Gadwin./quote]
Dave,

Why do you have two different screen capture programs running at the same time?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents..... got there in the end BUT just one minor querie; my Faststone Properties dialogue box only has three tabs compared to the one Stuart pasted which has six. Is the latter the professional version perhaps. Thanks Dave.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Perhaps it's the OS version, huh? Mine has FOUR tabs.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The difference is not caused by the version of FastStone Capture but by the version of Windows. Stuart's Windows displays more tabs in the Properties windows of a shortcut.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My screenshot was from Windows Vista Enterprise.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Seeing I am still using office 2003 that may account for the difference then eh? Oh and to answer Hans's question.... just had them both running as I was experimenting with them both regarding the hot keys. Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, it has nothing to do with Office 2003. It's because your computer runs on Windows XP while Stuart uses Windows Vista.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

....as usual...wrong again.....don't think I'll ever get the hang of all the intricacies of this hi tech stuff. Not half as bright as most but -there again- a little more enlightened than when I first stumbled on Woody's then -thankfully- for the future, this one. Be encouraged chaps, this is a God send for head scratchers like me who struggle with the complexities of this tech.....gy and judging by some of my acquaintences less wrinckled than myself, even slower learners than myself. Not content with standing still though, will continue to grope through this jungle in search of daylight. Thanks Dave.