CCleaner Consistently Shows an Invalid Default Icon UPDATE

BobH
UraniumLounger

CCleaner Consistently Shows an Invalid Default Icon UPDATE

Post by BobH »

I run CCleaner and MalwareBytes and several spyware removers often. With CCleaner I remove the trash files left behind then run the Registry Cleaner. Every time I run the Reg cleaner, I get the same hit on an Invalid Default Icon. It is in the subdirectories for Zone Alarm and is identified as "UpdClient.exe, -279" and provides this registry key, "HKCR\ZAMailSafe\DefaultIcon".

Repeated registry scans reveal this as a problem and repeated attempts to remove it fail. Is this something I should worry about? Should I try to use RegEdit and remove it?

I've never been a fan of fooling with RegEdit except as a last resort to fix a problem that is keeping me from using the system, and I've done 2 complete reformat and reinstalls on other machines in the last few weeks and don't want to have to do another one.

If it matters, I'm running WinXP Pro at SP3 and have run all updates (which in itself shows, perhaps, too much faith in Redmund). As for ZA, I don't run it using other firewall and AV software.

TIA

Well, as Emily Litella used to say, "Nevermind!!"

I checked my CP for A/R Programs and found two ZA apps still installed although I haven't used their products in quite some time. I removed them then ran CCleaner again. It took a couple of runs deleting things found in the Registry Cleaner but it went away.

"You are now returned to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress."

Slinking away and crawling under the porch
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: CCleaner Consistently Shows an Invalid Default Icon UPDATE

Post by DaveA »

I hope that when you run the Registry Cleaner, there you review the entries and delete ONLY the ones that you know that can be deleted.
It is known that Registry Cleaners can and will remove entries that are needed by your system. :evilgrin:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

CCleaner is a very "conservative" registry cleaner, I've never had problems with it.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

AS Hans said, CCleaner is a very conservative reg cleaner. I trust it so much that I take it's default recommendations and remove all it mentions without qualms.
However, a better and more thorough UNINSTALLER than A\R is Revo Uninstaller, which will look for remnants of reg entries and such, without you having to go into regedit or running CCleaner multiple times. It's highly recommended here by many Lounge members.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

But with Revo Uninstaller, you *do* have to be careful. In its most thorough setting, it may remove registry settings that are not related to the application being uninstalled!
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:But with Revo Uninstaller, you *do* have to be careful. In its most thorough setting, it may remove registry settings that are not related to the application being uninstalled!
Thus far, I've lucked out well using the thorough clean, without any known problems being created?
But you are right in using some caution with any "cleaner."
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, I do exercise caution in deleting suggested 'problems' with the Registry. I was having a senior moment wrt the ZA icon because I haven't used ZA in such a long time and forgot that there might still be some vestiges installed. When I remembered to check the installed apps, I found and removed 2 Zone Alarm components that hadn't been used in years. I removed them using CP rather than the CCleaner uninstall because I thought perhaps the Windows component might be kinder to Registry entries.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs