Losing Icon in Quick Launch Toolbar

Samantha
3StarLounger

Losing Icon in Quick Launch Toolbar

Post by Samantha »

This is only a minor irritant, but I'd love to be able to solve it once and for all.

One of the programs in my quick launch toolbar keeps losing it's icon. At least once a week the icon disappears to be replaced by the generic white box with a blue top border, although the tool-tip remains.

Each time I notice the loss of icon I right-click on the generic icon, select properties, and then select change icon. The default icon choice is the icon that is supposed to appear, I click it, and OK back out of the properties dialog and the icon is back. Temporarily. I suppose I could just leave it alone, since I know what it is even without the icon, but it bugs me, and I can't ignore it.

Is there anything I can do to increase the likelihood that the icon associated with this program will stick around on the quick launch toolbar for more than a few days?
Samantha

HansV
Administrator

Re: Losing Icon in Quick Launch Toolbar

Post by HansV »

Have you tried deleting the shortcut and creating a new one?
Best wishes,
Hans

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

I think that was one of the first fixes I tried, but this has been going on for at least six months, so I can't be entirely sure. Let me do it again, and I'll let you know if it doesn't solve the problem.
Samantha

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried rebuilding the icon cache? You can use TweakUI - see the "Repair" function.

Have you increased the icon cache size? See Change the icon cache size in Windows XP Pro.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What program is this a link to?
And where is this program (which drive and path)?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

DaveA wrote:What program is this a link to?
And where is this program (which drive and path)?
Deleting and replacing the quick launch shortcut yesterday didn't fix the problem, and I had to re-attach the icon again this morning.

The program is TAS (Trust Accounting System), an accounting program for managing pooled trust accounts. It is located on our server on a mapped drive. Could this be the source of the problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Samantha

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes, as the taskbar can not find the correct icon AT the time the taskbar is started.
Mostly because the server is not connected to yet.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

DaveA wrote:Yes, as the taskbar can not find the correct icon AT the time the taskbar is started.
Mostly because the server is not connected to yet.
OK, I've changed the target location to the full server address, and so far so good. We'll see if it sticks over several restarts. I had left the target address as a mapped drive, following the original instructions for a multiple-user setup of the program, which is how we originally used it. But for the past several years I have been the sole user, so there should be no problems with replacing the mapped address with the true location on the server.
Samantha