New Search facility

silverback
5StarLounger

New Search facility

Post by silverback »

Not sure how I acquired the facility, but my PC now has an indexing capability. I think it came in as part of a Windows Update.
Anyway, indexing starts every time I log in and it's killing response times. I stopped the indexing service using msconfig but the next time I logged in, indexing started running again.
I then opened Computer Management | Services and Applications | Indexing Service and then used Action | Stop but this didn't stop the indexer working!
How can I control this facility, please?

Thanks
Silverback

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: New Search facility

Post by stuck »

A Google search turns up this:
To disable the indexing service:

In the "Start" menu, choose "Run."
Type "services.msc" and press Enter.
Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it.
If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button.
To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled."
The last line is probably the step you need.

Ken

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Hi, Ken
Thanks for your reply.
I tried your solution and, of course, the indexing stopped. However, post this change, the PC refused to boot completely; it got part of the way and stopped (with no networking, so no possibility to access the internet, get email etc.). When I hovered the cursor over the indexing icon, it said "Awaiting indexing status".
Starting the service again fixed the problem and the PC completed its boot.

I thought :censored: that for a game of soldiers, so I uninstalled Windows Search 4.0

Despite being warned that removal of Search 4.0 might cause huge numbers of programs to fail, I did uninstall and so far, everything else seems to be working OK.

It might seem drastic to forego indexing, but I don't tend to lose things (it's only a home PC) and it really did have a serious impact on PC performance, so I'm going to stick with not having it, at least until I find other problems.

Thanks for your help
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When I still had Windows XP, I too found Windows Search 4.0 to be using too much CPU time, and I uninstalled it without adverse effects.
Best wishes,
Hans