Windows Media Player Won't Play DVDs

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows Media Player Won't Play DVDs

Post by hlewton »

On a laptop that I recently had to rebuild or actually just reload Windows XP Home and start all over as far as loading software is concerned it will not play a movie DVD on Windows Media Player version 11. This is the same version I have on other machines and they all play movies fine. In searching the WEB it seems the suggestions range from purchasing some decoders to installing windows media player classic, whatever that is. In any event I still am not able to play DVD movies. Any ideas how I can get Windows Media Player 11 to play them as it does on my other machines?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Media Player Won't Play DVDs

Post by HansV »

I'd install K-Lite Codec Pack Standard. It comes with an MPEG-2 decoder (needed to play DVDs). It's free, and you can get it from K-Lite Codec Pack Standard. Watch out for advertisement links.
x1164.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Laptops are tricky when reloading an OS because of many unique drivers that laptops require. I don't know how you did the reload - if you used a CD from the laptop manufacturer or some other means. So, we may be faced with a driver problem that could require you to contact the manufacturer or search their site.

Does the CD drive recognize "regular" CD, like a data CD? At least that would be an indication that the drive is working.

But first, lets try something easy to do to see if it rectifies the WMP problem. If you check this Lounge thread you'll see mention of two different "codec" packages that are (were) free. I installed the Shark package some time ago and my WMP plays every file format I've tried.

There are also Loungers who loaded the K-Lite package, so I don't really know which one is "better." It's a start.

Codec Comparison

Added: Oops, I see Hans just beat me with his recommendation :smile:

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will try that K-Lite as soon as I am done posting this.

I have the XP cd for this laptop and all the original drivers that came in the box when I purchased this. As far as I know I reloaded it exactly as it was originally done but the Window Media Player is at least 3 versions newer than when I first got this machine.

The DVD drive does recognize CDs and even the DVD but won't play the DVD so I'll see how it works after downloading the above.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Media Player 11 itself doesn't include a codec for playing DVDs, so you need to install a third-party codec...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I may be a bit confused but when I follow links to download the K-Lite it ends up trying to download something called FFDShow. Is that what I want?
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you follow the link that Hans posted above then it should download K-Lite codec pack, like this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep, sorry. I didn't see Han's arrow and I was clicking all over the place.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

After all MY confusion I figured I better report that it is now working and thank you all for the help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I didn't want to start another topic along the same lines but after thinking about the solution here of installing codec software I am very curious as to why my other computers play DVDs. This is the first time I have ever installed anything like this yet my other computers do play movies, at least the XPP ones I have tried them on. I don't know if the one with Windows 7 OS would play them or not because I have yet to try that.

The only thing I can think of is that whatever version of Windows Media Player that was originally installed on them somehow got updated as I installed newer versions of Windows Media Player with whatever it took to play them. Could this be possible because I really have no recollection of ever having to install codecs before?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Most CD/DVD players/recorders for use in computers come with software that lets you play DVDs. When you buy a new computer with a CD/DVD player/recorder, this software probably has been pre-installed.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks. I'll bet I didn't install something correctly then when I redid the computer.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

hlewton wrote:Thanks. I'll bet I didn't install something correctly then when I redid the computer.
Or removed somethng that was needed when one cleaned up the new system :evilgrin:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
hlewton wrote:Thanks. I'll bet I didn't install something correctly then when I redid the computer.
Or removed somethng that was needed when one cleaned up the new system :evilgrin:
That is a good possibility since I believe the drive was reformatted before loading Windows.
Regards,
hlewton

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I shall add this here since this thread is about codecs and XP. For some time now I've had the Shark package installed on my copy of XP and have had no trouble with WMP playing DVDs or .FLVs and so on.

But, (he sez with breath held) I decided to install the K-Lite Mega package since I'm going to install that one on my laptop Win7 and figured to be consistent.

K-Lite immediately told me that the Shark package must be removed first and offered to do that. It went smoothly and without a problem.

NOW, when K-Lite started its installation I started getting presented with files/drivers that are "broken" (K-Lite's term, not mine). In each case I let K-Lite REMOVE each one because I could see in the location things like Palm, Nero and others that I've long since removed from my system. There were a BUNCH of those warnings but the installation completed.

I've tested WMP with a couple of videos and MP3 as well as an .FLV and all seems to be in order. My hope is that I haven't "broken" anything in the process that I'm not yet aware of.

PS: I also noticed that K-Lite is a BIG FAN of YAHOO since it wanted to install toolbars, default search, etc. which I disallowed. Whew, what an experience. Someone said elsewhere here that K-Lite Mega will handle "Real Player" files but the only thing I could find was some sample .RAM files and WMP won't play those. (Real Player hasn't been near my system for years!)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hans,

One again you distinguish yourself with excellent advise. I must also commend you for the time and care you took in marking the screenshot to help one avoid downloading cr@pw@re. That was very thoughtful.

Thank you for being Hans!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

One of the programs I have seems to require a newer version of K-Lite Codec to be installed but the link it gives takes me to this WEB page http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-li ... k_full.htm. I get a virus warning when trying to download it so I came to this thread, clicked on the link that Hans posted and downloaded the file without any virus warning until it was done downloading then I saw this even before trying to open the downloaded file.
K-Lite1.jpg
So I'm not at all sure what to do next. Is it safe to ignore the warning at the bottom of the attachment and try installing the latest K-Lite Codec pack or not?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is not a problem - it only means that there isn't enough information about it in Microsoft's database. I downloaded the file and scanned it - no threats were detected. So you can safely ignore the warning.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks Hans.
Regards,
hlewton