Character Map Not Displayed

BobH
UraniumLounger

Character Map Not Displayed

Post by BobH »

On my installation of WindowsXP Pro SP3, I cannot locate the Character Map application from the All_Programs/Accessories/System_Tools menu. The option does not appear there; however, I can enter CHARMAP in the Run command and get the application.

Is there anything I can do to add it to the menu tree? I really want to create a shortcut to it and would have done that from the system menu had it been there. As it stands, I don't know how to create the shortcut.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Character Map Not Displayed

Post by HansV »

Start Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32.
Locate charmap.exe
Right-click it and select Send To | Desktop (create shortcut) from the context menu.
Make sure that you can see the desktop.
You should see the shortcut there. Rename it to Character Map.
Drag the shortcut to the Start button, then either to the Start menu itself or to (All) Programs, and drop it where you want it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about adding it to the Start Menu, but would create a desktop shortcut using:

%SystemRoot%\system32\charmap.exe

It so happens I use a free "macro" utility in which I've created many "hot keys" for frequently used programs, including the character map.

Take a look here. It's pretty easy to use: Clavier+ 10.6.4

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen!

I have the shortcut where it is needed.

I apologize for the abundance of brain fog. SWMBO has had me moving furniture and cleaning carpets this week. It is truly amazing how much weight some of the furniture has gained over the years. :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs