Is there a way to have folders included in 'Last Modified"?

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Is there a way to have folders included in 'Last Modified"?

Post by Pilgrim »

This is something I have always wanted to exist in Windows Explorer. When you click on the "Last Modified" column, only files come to the top according to the date they were modified/added. Is there a 'mod' to include folders? I would find this extremely helpful.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Is there a way to have folders included in 'Last Modifie

Post by John Gray »

I don't think the Last Modified field on folders is always correctly updated. On Robocopy backups, after the backup has been completed, I've had to arrange to create a new, dummy, file in a folder and then delete it, so as to get the Last Modified date of the folder to update...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

For me, folders aren't arranged by date when clicking on the "Date Modified" [correction, sorry!] column. There doesn't seem to be any order for the way the folders are arranged; not by date, not alphabetical, etc.. Perhaps I'm missing something here?
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have skipped Vista, but both in Windows XP and in Windows 7, folders sort correctly for me, but always separate from files.
I don't think Windows Explorer has a standard view that sorts files and folders together, but there are ways to simulate it:

- Right-click an empty part of the list of files, and select Group By > Date Modified from the context menu

or

- Type an asterisk * in the search box at the top of the Explorer window and press Enter. (This is not permanent though)
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Hans,

I played around with both the "Group By" and "Sort By" options and somehow what I wanted now works, albeit the files are listed first in the order of the date modified and then the group of folders beneath them in the same order! And, this appears to be the case for any folder, not just the one I have been experimenting with. Image

The BIG question is now... will this order be retained after a reboot? hehehe Time will tell.

Thanks for everyone's input. :grin:
Jeff