Clean from scratch

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Clean from scratch

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I have an infected computer and need some guidance please.

Windows Protection ran and detected a number of threats. But to remove the threats I was
requested to register. But, of course, I couldn't register because I couldn't go online (using my
dongle). So I had no choice for the moment but to shutdown the computer.

Is there (free) software I can install onto a USB pen that would help me? When I switch on the computer
is there a key I need to hold to, maybe, get into Safe Mode, or something similar?

Thanks in advance, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Clean from scratch

Post by HansV »

Register what? "Windows Protection" sounds like one of those fake security programs...
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. I was slightly suspicious of this. But if it's a fake it's very convincing - taking ages to perform
it's scan.
But I still need to clean my computer Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Rui
StarLounger

Post by Rui »

You could try to boot in safe mode with network, which will allow you to download Malware bytes anti-malware, which should be enough to get you rid of that.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In addition, you could try ClamWin Portable. It can be downloaded to another computer, then copied to a USB drive.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello, and thanks both.

Someone recommended SUPERAntiSpyware as well. I think I'll run them all, one after another!

Rui
StarLounger

Post by Rui »

In spite of the name, which always made me suspicious, SuperAntiSPyware is very good, too. There is no harm in using them all :grin: .

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

SUPERAntiSpyware found a load of cookies/ trackers but then Malware Bytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) found a few more significant threats. I'll update the MBAM database (it was 20 days out of date) and then run a full scan.

The ClamWin tool was more of a pain. It insisted I update the database but I couldn't because I couldn't connect to the internet. I tried installing it onto my pen first, but this didn't help. Maybe I missed something(?) but it doesn't look like it's a portable as it suggests. Anyway, I'm running it now and we'll see what it comes up with.

Maybe someone has another suggestion for a portable solution? MBAM always seems to work best but not being portable could be a handicap at some point.

Thanks for the help, Andy.