Unable to Print as Standard User

Ailios
Lounger

Unable to Print as Standard User

Post by Ailios »

On a new installation of Windows Vista Business 32bit I'm able to print to a network shared printer as long as the user is part of the local administrators group. When they are in the standard users group, not able to print. "Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup" Printer has Vista driver (able to print to it from another Vista box) and it is available. Tried three different network printers (all different models of HP laserjet and shared from different OS types). Same problem. Can printer if local admin; can't if standard user. Anyone here seen this happen before? What do I need to change?
Daisy

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Unable to Print as Standard User

Post by DaveA »

Does this "Standard" user have network access?
Can it read or open files from the computers that have the printers connected to them?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Ailios
Lounger

Re: Unable to Print as Standard User

Post by Ailios »

DaveA wrote:Does this "Standard" user have network access?
Can it read or open files from the computers that have the printers connected to them?
They are logged into the office network domain so yes. They have mapped drives, access forms and templates across the network, etc. All very typical in an office environment.

The Standard user is also what I use to call the Power Users Group. When I change their group membership to Administrator they can print fine. Just can't print when they are Standard user group. Note, though, as a Standard user they can print a test page from Printers and Faxes.

They were also able to print to the Canon copier even when they were Standard user. All of our printers are HP. I wish I had a different printer that I could test with that wasn't HP so I could confirm or rule out it as an HP problem.

Late last night I tried changing the printer to HP Universal Drive. That didn't make a difference. If I failed to mention it, I did try removing the print drives from the workstations, rebooting, and reinstalling.
Daisy