Toshiba Satelite A135-S4666 laptop BIOS issue

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Toshiba Satelite A135-S4666 laptop BIOS issue

Post by StuartR »

Hey Jude wrote:... from what I've read, flashing a BIOS can indeed be harmful to the MOBO and be costly to fix, so should I go ahead and follow the instructions? I am familiar with WinRAR extractions.....
General advice is that you should only update your BIOS if the release notes say that it provides specific functionality or fixes a specific issue that is relevant to you.

I have done many BIOS upgrades with no failures, but if something does go wrong then you can be left with a brick, instead of a PC.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:Ok I did find my model on Toshiba site and found this update for my BIOS which currently is 1.90 but it has 2.20 now http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais ... 1073768663

My ? is from what I've read, flashing a BIOS can indeed be harmful to the MOBO and be costly to fix, so should I go ahead and follow the instructions? I am familiar with WinRAR extractions.....
The changes from version 1.90 to 2.2 are:

Change History

Version 2.20 - 2010-01-19
o Blocked the eSATA boot function.
o Changed the HDD password algorithm.
Version 2.10 - 2009-10-28
o Updated the COMPUTRACE OPROM 887.
o Fixed: DMI type 17 manufacturer name display error for Hynix and Elpida RAM.
o Changed the "Intel Virtualization Technology" default setting from Disabled to Enabled.
o Modified the critical battery wake up prevent value from 2% to 5%.
o Modified the battery low blinks, battery LED value from 2% to 10%.
o Modified the S3 Critical Battery wake up value from 5% to 8%.
Version 2.00 - 2009-09-02
o Added support for the Win7 Container ID function.
o Updated: PPM1.04 reference code.
o Updated: MRC2.8 reference code.
o Added support for the TVAP "Alarm power on" functions for the Win7 tool.
o Added support for the 2009 DMI 32 and DMI 64 utilities.
o The CMOS Year/Month/Date default setting is changed to 2009/07/01 after a RTC battery failure.
o Enabled SSP to fix a TS-L633C/TOYF 6029B0026509 "not found" issue.
o Modified: English "Yes" and "No" to French in the French BIOS Setup.
o Modified: BIOS Setup and F12 menu strings from "USB Memory" to "USB".
o Update new P/N (PN090713.xls) for WIN7 OS.
-------------------------------------------------------
That seems to be quite a list of changes although I don't know how they would all apply to you. ( I would probably go ahead and update )

The inherent dangers of flashing the BIOS are usually unexpected interruptions DURING the flash process. Probably not as common as that once was.
And as I indicated earlier, before proceeding with the update, the flash program will make a copy of the old, so that you can revert back in case of troubles.
You could check with Toshiba to verify that safeguard.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Thanks, Bob and Stuart. I will check into backing it up. It looks like a "simple" process, but there is so much doom/gloom on the internet about it...I don't want to be left with a brick for sure....but I am adventuresome too lol....
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:Thanks, Bob and Stuart. I will check into backing it up. It looks like a "simple" process, but there is so much doom/gloom on the internet about it...
With the right tool it's no problem to backup the old BIOS before flashing it, updating it, as I mentioned in one example earlier. However, I had a quick look earlier at the readme file included in the BIOS update you mentioned; the archive has some different tools, and the file describes them all. But I'm not sure if any of them can do a backup, or, do it automatically.

If you decide to do this, you'll have to read a bit before. And as I mentioned earlier there are different approaches, using a DOS floppy, direct flash via CD or USB, or from within Windows. Note that they mention that that has higher risk for failure; you may need to have some Toshiba software installed before that tool, running from within. I would not recommend that.

Also, since a laptop: run it on AC, not the battery, if you are doing this.

Also, see this thread, there may be several others, I just picked one: http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe. ... eID=196945" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not mentioning that thread because a particular way is better (Burning the ISO in the archive and using that one; there are several update files for different tools as I mentioned), but because they are discussing BIOS backups.

They mention FAQs; it can always be good to have a look at those, especially since the same brand, Toshiba. But I think one should carefully read the files that come with the BIOS update, if any. Some only includes the ROM file and perhaps a tool.

So, again in my quick reading of the readme I can't find backup or save. So perhaps you should look close on that matter. It didn’t look like they had the old BIOS, (i.e. you present one on download). Laptops are also a bit more complex to work with; you can't easily open them up and move some jumpers etc.
But it could very well be that one of their 3 automated tools creates a backup, but then: where to save it? The Windows version seemed to save one; but there is also a higher risk using that tool.

And please, if you can avoid, don't go back and update old posts, old replies if not very important or typos etc. If you add new info there; the one you replied to will not get that edit; and some posts after the edited one may look out of place, explaining things you've already mentioned, but you did it in a edit. Both Stuart's and Bob's post were made before you edited this post.

I didn't even see the edit, at first, when creating this reply. Just some thoughts, nothing else; of course there are no problem with edits in my mind, but updates, more info. 3-5 posts back in a thread can confuse things, and no one will get them via notifications anyhow. And the thread isn't bumped.

To answer one question there:
Flashing is usually quick, some minute or two. But rember to do the work before and after. It's just not only a reboot and go.
I have no idea how you access the BIOS Setup on that Toshiba; the manual talked about some "Hardware settings software" or similar running within Windows. As I said; laptops are a different animal. You'll have to read some; better safe than...
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I update the BIOS from within Windows now. Most of the PCs that I deal with now do not have a floopy and I'm way too lazy to burn a CD just to flash the BIOS. From within Windows the BIOS update just creates a small bootable partition, re-boots to it, applies the BIOS update, changes back to the Windows partition, and re-boots back to Windows. The BIOS itself should only take a second or two to update. Much more time spent shutting down and re-booting.

NOTE: You should ensure that the PC is running off the mains NOT battery when you update a BIOS.

Joe
Joe

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Thanks one and all. When I edited the post aforementioned by Argus, I didn't notice anyone reading the thread, but will be careful to not do that in the future. I suppose I should just wait for an answer and then proceed. Thank you for the nice advice :-)

I will definitely read up on it a bit more. I don't have a floppy either, and 99% of the time run off the mains, but occasionally I will disconnect it to let the battery almost drain...but I will use the main when I attempt this. I have another desktop I can rely on as well as an XP Dell laptop, but prefer this one. If all else fails, and I am left with a brick, then I have learned something and a new laptop isn't going to break the bank. I will re-read this entire thread to get a feel for how it goes now. The initial query was for another friend's Toshiba--unrelated to mine. I should have started a new thread, but it seemed to be related to a Toshiba BIOS anyways, so here it is. I appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf. I will keep you posted. 75% of me just wants to do it. Caution will prevail for the time being, until I do some reading of the Toshiba forums that Argus posted. I DID notice that flashing from within Windows was the least secure, though Joe does it that way. I will read it all and then decide. I wouldn't have even ventured forth this far without EL.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I do however, have a USB floppy drive from my daughter, but nothing built in to this laptop

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I'd not trust a USB floppy. You'd have to enable legacy USB in the BIOS. Not sure what will happen when the update process starts.

Joe
Joe

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

OK thanks

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Ok. I started reading the forum that Argus posted. In the beginning it basically said if your computer is functioning normally then it's not necessary to update;

Then I read further about each of 5 ways to update the BIOS and found that on 2 of them, as it updates, the current one is saved and backed-up. I noticed on the screen attached that you have the option of only backing it up without updating it as well. So I am gaining understanding as I read all your postings as well as see these screens. I am going to check my temporary folder to see which exe file I have listed in mine to see which of the 5 processes I would have to use. I would love to at the very least back-up my current BIOS.
BIOS Update or backup only.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I launched the BIOS program and clicked "Instructions Only" and created the bootable CD/DVD and it verified it so that part is done. SO this means I will upgrade the BIOS thru this CD when I do it. I have alot more to print out so I have directions on exactly which keys to press following the update and it reboots. There are several different sets of ordering the function keys etc. This is rather exciting lol

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

BIOS extracted filed.jpg
It talks about selecting the .exe or application to launch....I see 2 applications in that list. When I used the "Launcher" it opened the screen where it let me choose which method to install the BIOS update whether by floppy, CD or Windows or I could just read the instructions (which I did). In those instructions I found how to create the Bootable CD which is done as aforementioned. I am thinking the OS201000079a_220 is the .exe file I would use. Would you agree?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Hey Jude wrote:I DID notice that flashing from within Windows was the least secure, though Joe does it that way.
The usual way of updating Dell servers and workstations is to run the BIOS update from within Windows, although admittedly most of the work is done at the subsequent reboot.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude at 05 Feb 2011, 00:04 CET wrote:I launched the BIOS program and clicked "Instructions Only" and created the bootable CD/DVD and it verified it so that part is done. SO this means I will upgrade the BIOS thru this CD when I do it.
Hey Jude at 05 Feb 2011, 00:33 CET wrote:It talks about selecting the .exe or application to launch....I see 2 applications in that list. When I used the "Launcher" it opened the screen where it let me choose which method to install the BIOS update whether by floppy, CD or Windows or I could just read the instructions (which I did). In those instructions I found how to create the Bootable CD which is done as aforementioned. I am thinking the OS201000079a_220 is the .exe file I would use. Would you agree?
Hey Jude,
Your above posts are a bit confusing; or you seems to be confused; you first used the launcher, read instructions, then created a CD. Then in the next post, you don't know which application they are talking about, when you have already used it.

I have read the readme earlier, as I mentioned, so I have seen the archive content; but for people who haven't downloaded your BIOS-update package that screen shot doesn't tell much. You/we can't just look at it and guess. So adding it, the screen shot, doesn't add much, if you understand what I mean. Sometimes a screen shot is worth a thousands words, and sometimes it doesn't add anything, just my thoughts of course.

Yes, the readme file talks about an application to launch, and that is the launcher, if you read the file. You use it to pick your alternative. According to the readme file you can use it for example for method 1 (The diskette/floppy method. However I agree with Joe, an USB floppy can be problematic); for method 2 it still talks about the Launcher if you look at readme file. The launcher will then probably run the os20100079a_220.exe.

As usual nowadays, with “userfriendliness” and all that, there has to be one software to launch the other.

You may have also noticed a discrepancy between the readme file and the content in the archive, as well as what you see when you launch the "launcher". There is no 2459d220.exe in the archive, and alternative 1, the floppy disk creation, isn't an alternative when running the launcher. So, if you are going to do this, with these tools, a CD-ROM or from within Windows are your alternatives, as you have mentioned earlier.

As for the within Windows alternative, and the mention of the launcher etc. from the readme file:

(Notice: you seem to have mixed some things: you either create a CD, and use that one; or, if using the Windows alternative, I assume that the Launcher application will run the appropriate file: os20100079a_220.exe; that one has nothing to do with the CD alternative. Read the file once more; I quote alternative 2, Windows, just to show that it talks about the Launcher. And also, obviously, when reading FAQs and instructions over at their site: some of the instructions may be outdated.)
-----------------------------------------------
2) INSTALLATION FROM WITHIN WINDOWS NT/2000/XP/Vista/7
-----------------------------------------------

This release offers the option to install the BIOS directly from within Windows NT-based operating systems. To do so, simply select the 'Windows Installation' option from the Launcher menu, and click 'Ok'.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THIS INSTALLATION METHOD
Please close all programs before executing the Windows NT-based installer.

Due to the somewhat increased risk of errors updating the BIOS from within Windows (as compared to using the boot diskette method), it is HIGHLY recommended that the computer be connected to AC power via the AC adapter, and that the power-save mode is set to 'Full Power' or the equivalent while installing the BIOS.

The Windows NT-based BIOS installer, os20100079a_220.exe, will install the flash BIOS when run under Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

The Windows NT-based installer requires Administrator priveleges [sic] on the target system, and, for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, requires that the Toshiba Value-added Logic Device driver (TVALD, or ACPI common modules) be installed and working.

Windows 95, 98, and Me are not supported. If executed under Windows 9x/Me, the Launcher will not offer the option to install from within Windows.
(My emphasis in bold and underlined.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:The initial query was for another friend's Toshiba--unrelated to mine. I should have started a new thread, but it seemed to be related to a Toshiba BIOS anyways, so here it is.
Hijacking your own threads, or your friend's thread? :grin: Well, it's your topic, and what was believed to be an BIOS issue wasn't, then we filled the thread with a more appropriate content, given the subject, BIOS questions. But then at least I think it's more of an hardware question than a Vista question. But that's just me, I could be wrong again.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus,
You are correct. As I thought about this topic all night long, it dawned on me that I didn't have to worry about which of the 5 options to choose, because I had already created the bootable CD and was going to go that route. You are absolutely correct. I should just type out my thoughts on Notepad or somewhere and just read them before posting. Yes, that is also correct.

The one screenshot I posted about "which application" showed me there were 2 applications in the extracted files. I didn't know which one to choose, but it's a moot point since I won't go that route. Thank you for clearing up that confusion.

As you can tell, I hadn't really thought much about BIOS except that it was something to be forewarned about. The more I read these posts and the other internet links, the more I understood, as well as less understood, if that makes any sense. Your thoughts are very appreciated. I thank you very much. If I find I end up with a door stopper, then so be it; on the other hand, it just might work out very nicely.

I don't recall ever receiving any communication from Toshiba talking about any BIOS update. So when I found 3 additional updates, then it caused me to wonder if my laptop was missing something. There appears to be a couple of opinions regarding this issue. I will not jump into it without fully comprehending what I am hoping to achieve.

Thank-you.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Hey Jude wrote: When I used the "Launcher" it opened the screen where it let me choose which method to install the BIOS update whether by floppy, CD or Windows or I could just read the instructions (which I did). In those instructions I found how to create the Bootable CD which is done as aforementioned.

Argus,
Yes, indeed I did mention using the Launcher JUST to read the instructions. I referenced that because the one screenshot showed that same Launcher file as well as the BIOS os file application. As I read the instructions, I was given a chance to create a floppy, or a bootable CD from within that (which I did), but then I closed out the instructions, and started reading some of the other links you posted i.e. Toshiba forums. I checked other ones out as well. I started reading everything I could until I couldn't absorb anymore, and that's when I got confused. I never actually used the Launcher to update the BIOS. I guess I don't explain myself very well. I'm sorry for the confusion.