Recommend firewall

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Recommend firewall

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.

I'm suspicious that Comodo Firewall is slowing my computer. I think I'll uninstall it and try and activate the Vista Firewall
(I'll need to do this via Services).
Would you recommend the Vista firewall or another?
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Recommend firewall

Post by HansV »

Opinions on firewalls differ wildly. I have been using the Windows firewall for years in Windows XP and now in Windows 7, and I don't have complaints about it. If your other security (antivirus) is up-to-date, I think the Windows firewall is perfectly adequate.

If you like to tinker with settings, the Windows firewall is not the best one - it's more difficult to configure than third-party firewalls. I just use it with the default settings (i.e. as an inbound firewall only).
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I'll run with the Windows Firewall. I have Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV - which I like very much. Well, maybe like is a bit strong - it's nice and discreet.

But should I run Windows Defender as well? Thanks, Andy.

Actually, I've found on the internet that MSE will disable Windows Defender anyway, so that answers my question. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft Security Essentials is the successor to Windows Defender. It will turn off most components of Windows Defender automatically, you should leave it as it is.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Wow, my computer is running so much faster! I think Comodo has gradually been slowing my computer more and more. I would recommend that others don't use
this Firewall.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

agibsonsw wrote:Wow, my computer is running so much faster! I think Comodo has gradually been slowing my computer more and more.
Wouldn't that be odd, since a firewall is a filter between the computer and the Internet or a network; it's nothing to do with what you run on the PC and how fast the local software is. Unless... the Comodo Firewall you have used earlier included some kind of Anti-Virus. Then it wouldn't have been wise to run it together with another AV.

So, if you remove such a firewall and use the Windows, inbound firewall sans anti-malware capabilities, it would explain the PC running faster since you have no conflicts between the firewall antimalware and Microsoft Security Essentials; nothing to do with the firewall per se.

But then I don't know what flavour you used of the Comodo Firewall. And I don't know much about Comodo, but it seems like even the basic, free, firewall includes Anti-Virus, thus there are two competing software; firewall with antimalware and Microsoft Security Essentials.
agibsonsw wrote:I would recommend that others don't use this Firewall.
As I said, I know nothing about Comodo, but wouldn't such a recommendation depend on what other software people run, as per above discussion?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Absolutely.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Perhaps I was misled by the title 'Comodo Firewall'. I wasn't aware that it included any kind of AV or anti-malware tools which would cause a conflict.
Andy.