restart my what?

garbsmj
4StarLounger

restart my what?

Post by garbsmj »

We had this at work and I don't know how they fixed it but now it's on my machine.

Earlier today there was a "minor" update that I installed. I thought it was Windows Defender definitions since it was so small and then went on my merry way. Now I have a naggy icon at the right-hand bottom of my Vista laptop that reminds me to "Restart Your computer." However, the Restart button is greyed out. All I can do is pick 4 hours and then, about 15 minutes later, the message pops up for me to restart again.

Before I go to my remote IT dept and have them laugh hysterically at the "girl" who doesn't know anything, are there any suggestions? :scratch:
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

HansV
Administrator

Re: restart my what?

Post by HansV »

The same problem is mentioned in Restart Button greyed out .. but there was no explanation or solution.
Can you restart from the Start button?
If not, close all applications, and press the power switch of your computer for 15 seconds or so; eventually the computer should turn itself off.
Best wishes,
Hans

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Hans,

I tried to restart like you suggested but the message shows up again. I read that this happens when one has passed the deadline to restart but I didn't get this message until I had returned from my lunchtime duties. I can't shut down because I'm logged onto work but I'll try this when I do "leave" for the day. If it works I'll let you know.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Hans,

Yay! I shut down the laptop, went somewhere, came back and no more message. I guess that's what they did with the server at my work, although it was nice to have a little "you've worked 4 hours" reminder so I would then go, gee, gotta get lunch.

Now if I could only figure out the other 1.2 million things I need to do here....