Need to add to XP network

Reimer
3StarLounger

Need to add to XP network

Post by Reimer »

Hi guys/gals,

Good to see familar faces.
I just got a new pc with Windows 7 Home Premium. When i started it up I chose Home Network. It told me I could networt with other Windows 7 machines only. I know I have seen that it is possible to network with XP machines.
Would someone please tell me where to look for the instructions so i can add it to my existing home network? The existing network has a hardwired XP pc, a router and a wireless XP laptop. There is a (old) printer attached to the XP hardwired pc. I have done a number of searches but cannot find what I read on the subject.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck Reimer
(I'm from the Government and I'm here to help) ;-)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Need to add to XP network

Post by HansV »

Hi Chuck,

I can't answer your question, but I'd like to welcome you to Eileen's Lounge!
Best wishes,
Hans

Reimer
3StarLounger

Post by Reimer »

Thank you for the welcome.
I am just so very glad I was told about the Lounge.
It looks like it will be a GREAT place to get and give advice.
Chuck Reimer

June Bug
Lounger

Post by June Bug »

I would start by changing the name of the network to WORKGROUP on the XP machines. The network now most likely has a name of MSHOME. Any new machines you purchase will have WORKGROUP as the default network name so might as well change it now to avoid future problems.

Give the new machine a name different from the existing machines. The computer description really doesn't matter.

On the Win 7 machine go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Homegroup and sharing options > Change advanced sharing settings. Turn on Network Discovery, File and printer sharing, and Public Folder Sharing. Choose your encryption type and if you want password protection or not. These steps should enable the machine to be seen on the network.

You must now enable sharing on the individual folders you wish shared. Open the folder you wish to share and click on Share with > Specific People. In the next drop down select Everyone > Add > Share. The folder should now be available on the network.

Sharing the printer will be determined by the availability of drivers for Win 7. Go to the printer manufacturer's website and see if drivers for 7 are available. If so download the drivers and then go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers and click on Add a Printer. Click on Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer and follow the wizard.

JB
:music:

JB

Reimer
3StarLounger

Post by Reimer »

Thanks!
When I get home I will give it a shot.
Chuck Reimer

Reimer
3StarLounger

Post by Reimer »

I am sorry for not getting back sooner. I have been having a number of other problems that prevented me from trying your suggestion.
When Windows 7 settles down, and I know I am going to keep it - then I will give it a shot, and let you know how it goes.
Chuck Reimer