Definitive "Documents and Settings" list

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Definitive "Documents and Settings" list

Post by John Gray »

This probably applies equally well to Windows Server 2008. As you can guess, I managed to avoid Vista!

I am trying to find a definitive list of where all the subdirectories that used to be visible in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>
are now located, in a location where their constituent files may be processed (added to, deleted, renamed, etc) by a user.

I am aware of C:\Users\<username> and C:\Users\Public and C:\ProgramData, and that some junction points point to second junction points, and so on, but I can't find a definitive list for all possibilities.

I'm not sure whether it's worth giving examples, because someone might know of a source that gives all the information I'm after!

Thanks
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Definitive "Documents and Settings" list

Post by JoeP »

What happened to "all users" in Vista? - Vista Forums gives you a good look at "All Users". You can extrapolate how to find the same for "Default User" and any user.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Joe, that shows me a couple of directories I haven't yet managed to track down!

I was hoping for a list of BEFORE and AFTER paths for each major directory, for All Users, Default Users, and <username>. I am well on the way to setting this up myself now...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Joe - your link gave me the clue to finding out all the relevant information, by turning off Folder Options... Hidden Files, and doing dir /a in each likely directory.

I'm not sure if anyone bar me is likely to be particularly interested in my results (which are valid also for Windows Server 2008), but if anyone is then please say and I'll post a two-page Word document.
John Gray

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

John Gray wrote:I'm not sure if anyone bar me is likely to be particularly interested in my results (which are valid also for Windows Server 2008), but if anyone is then please say and I'll post a two-page Word document.
Ooh, ooh ... pick me! I haven't yet upgraded to Windows 7, but we recently upgraded to Windows Server 2008 at work, and I'd be very interested in the results of your research.
Samantha

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

John Gray wrote: I'm not sure if anyone bar me is likely to be particularly interested in my results (which are valid also for Windows Server 2008), but if anyone is then please say and I'll post a two-page Word document.
I think that document would be very worthwhile.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And "Amen" came a little voice from the "Backrow Baptist" contingent! Me too, John!

(For those unfamiliar with "southern" jargon, that's what some folks call those who sit in the last pew in church around here!)

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

See the attachment with the snappy title!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Excellent John, thank you very much.

I'll make good use of that. Might even have to print it so it's easier to reference.

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Thanks, John.
Samantha

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Great piece of work, thanks
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

Brilliant, John, many thanks. Makes me wonder just why Micro$oft made it so complicated. Now all we need is a utility that makes it easy to move the d**med folders somewhere more useful.

Regards
David