Win7 upgrade

BigMac
NewLounger

Win7 upgrade

Post by BigMac »

My wife's PC (1 year old self built Intel DG43 MB, C2D E7200CPU, 4GB RAM, 500W PSU, onboard GPU/NIC/sound) is running Vista Business 32bit. I've purchased a copy of WIN7Pro 32bit upgrade which I intend to install as an upgrade. There is not a lot of software installed on the PC - MS Office Pro 2003, MSE, WinPatrol, and a few card game programs. At the same time, I'm going to upgrade the O/S HDD to a 500GB SATA2 HDD - there's two 300GB SATA1 HDDs in the PC right now, one for the O/S and one for a swap partition and a data partition. I have a copy of Acronis True Image 2009 installed, which I've already used to image the O/S partition to an USB HDD. I know that TI can move the O/S partition to a larger HDD, though I've never actually done this.

My question is, should I make the move to the larger HDD with Vista and then perform the upgrade WIN7 install, or, do the WIN7 upgrade install on the current HDD, and then use TI to move the partition to the new HDD? The partition set-up will be the same before and after. I'll make some partition adjustments after the upgrade.

I'd appreciate any opinions or suggestions.
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Win7 upgrade

Post by JoeP »

My preference would be to do the hardware upgrade first. Then wait until you are comfortable there are no problems from that upgrade before starting the Win7 upgrade.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I agree with Joe, make the hardware changes first.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BigMac
NewLounger

Post by BigMac »

Well, I think I'll make it unanamous and say make the hardware move first. :thumbup:

Thanks to both of you for confirming what I thought was the right thing to do.

Now to head over to the Acronis forum to see if I can find a tutorial on moving your O/S to a new, larger HDD.
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)