Just found this, hope I'm not too late. BBC NEWS
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Urgent warning over 'serious' Windows 7 bug

Post by HansV »

So, if you use Chrome on Windows 7, make sure it's up-to-date (Chrome will auto-update, but you can force it to look for updates by clicking the three dots menu and selecting About Google Chrome.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Thought about mentioning it here, since I know that some/several use Chrome, and since it's being actively exploited. Then I thought that it probably is the most "auto updating" browser, and that it probably was already known. But then there is the catch with 32-bit Windows 7 (so far seen), still no update.

Another article:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/0 ... _zero_day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

They mention in the first article …."To date, we have only observed active exploitation against Windows 7 32-bit systems,"…
I have a Win 7 32bit on a machine of mine which was sleeping .. I woke it up and the Chrome browser was open already .. I clicked on the top right and it was offering me an update, so I took it.
I had a 64 Bit Win 7 doing some stuff. On hitting the three dots top right on the chrome browser it was offering an update as well, so I took it.
I powered up another 64 Bit Win 7 which was switched off, and on opening the Chrome browser it did not offer me any update. I guess that means it did it on power up?
(All my machines and browsers have deafault settings as far as I know)

( I was doing some experiments on the Win 7 32bit machine which required I had no virus protection temporarily, so the heads up was probably timely for me).
Thanks
Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can check the version of Chrome in the About Chrome dialog and compare it to the version on your other computers.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

All 60-odd of our Windows 7 Pro 32-bit PCs had their Chrome updates between 5th and 7th March, inclusive.

An alternative to Menu -> About is to look at C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application for a folder with the same name as the update version - far easier for a BATch file to check all those PCs!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Urgent: Get your Google Browser smackeroo up on standy mo

Post by Doc.AElstein »

On the Win 7 64 Bit machines….
The one that had been doing something for ages and which I took the offered update from was showing..
Version 72.0.3626.121 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit)
The one that I powered up and was not offering me an update had
Version 72.0.3626.119 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit) .. but while I was looking at it, it updated to Version 72.0.3626.121 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit)
I guess that means it took a while to wake up after I powered it up and 72.0.3626.121 is the new one

On the Win 7 32 Bit machines when I looked it showed me
Version 72.0.3626.121 (Offizieller Build) (32-Bit)
While I was looking at it, it said it was checking for updates… after a minute it said.. Google Chrome ist auf dem neuesten Stand … which in the words of Professor Stanley Unwin sounds like Google is Chrome right smackeroo on me the good standy-mo is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY-PEeX5xYY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A quick google search on latest Chrome Browser gives me
Chrome on Windows 72.0.3626.121
Chrome on macOS 72.0.3626.121
Chrome on Linux 72.0.3626.121
Chrome on Android 72.0.3626.121
Chrome on iOS 72.0.3626.101

I also Checked at me C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application and got this----GoogleChromeRightSmackerooOnNewStandMo.JPG : https://imgur.com/BFWQp5R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So looks like I am OK, got Chrome right smackeroo on the good standy-mo ist
:)
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

My interpretation was taken to be a Chrome OS as in Chrome Book????
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.