Folder Setting

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Folder Setting

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, I have many folders on my pc's.
When I open a folder, it is displayed as this if it hasn't been opened before.
RR.png
The view I would like is this.
RR1.png
Can I pre-select the folder opening look without having to 'customize' every folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Folder Setting

Post by stuck »

Yes. First get a folder looking the way you want every folder to look like then click Tools | Options | Folder Options and select the 'View' tab. In there you'll find an 'Apply to Folders' button that will make the current view the default for all folders.

Ken
PS the Tools | Options | bit might not be exctly right as I don't have Win 7 anymore and even when I didn't use the 'clasic view' you seem to be using. Even so it should be near enough to get you to where you need to be.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I agree with Ken.
(I think it's Tools > Folder Options. But then I'm not running with English as display language. :smile:)

The only thing I would add is that I think it will only be applied to "... all folders of this type". That is, each folder can be (and some have been by the OS) "optimized" for a certain content. This can be set on the Customize tab in each folder's Properties (found in the right-click menu). We typically see Documents, Photos, Music and Videos (and there is a General "optimization" as well). But as we all know the absolute majority have no special "optimization", they are set to General.

So it's possible, my interpretation, that it will not change all folders in one go. (I can't remember exactly since it's a very long time since I last did anything to folder views.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Ken & Argus. it was as suggested, Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
Case solved, many thanks.
P.S. How did you manage to reply to my post before Hans, he is normally the first.?
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hans sometimes is busy doing other things...
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Thanks Hans, it wouldn't be the same without you.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Roderunner wrote:...P.S. How did you manage to reply to my post before Hans, he is normally the first.?
Wot Hans said, plus pure luck that I happened to dip into the Lounge at that time :grin:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Roderunner wrote:Hi Ken & Argus. it was as suggested, Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
P.S. How did you manage to reply to my post before Hans, he is normally the first.?
I've found, over time, that it has become something of a contest to beat Hans to be first to reply to a post. I have done it a FEW times in the past but the vast majority have been close seconds ( or lower ) for me and other Loungers. Tthat guy is super fast and most knowledgeable! We are indeed fortunate to have Hans as one of our Mods and that last statement also applies to all of our other mods.
Way to go. :thankyou: :thumbup: :clapping: :fanfare:
Last edited by viking33 on 19 Sep 2018, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:blush: :hiding:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I sense a party starting...

ClaudesCellar.gif
[/size]
Who's bringing the pretzels?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I was thinking of bringing Hans
StuartR

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Rudi wrote:I sense a party starting...

ClaudesCellar.gif
[/size]
Who's bringing the pretzels?
Party.jpg
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Oliver
2StarLounger

Post by Oliver »

viking33 wrote:
Roderunner wrote:Hi Ken & Argus. it was as suggested, Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
I've found, over time, that it has become something of a contest to beat Hans to be first to reply to a post. I have done it a FEW times in the past but the vast majority have been close seconds ( or lower ) for me and other Loungers. Tthat guy is super fast and most knowledgeable! We are indeed fortunate to have Hans as one of our Mods and that last statement also applies to all of our other mods.
Way to go. :thankyou: :thumbup: :clapping: :fanfare:
I totally agree with you brother!! Hans is awesome!
Regards,
Oliver
“Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.” -Thomas Edison

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This is a problem that has beset me since I was in short pants. I saved and re-read this thread and spent a few minutes with grim determination to show that Ken Is Wrong, and to Dampen Roderunners Mood.

(Monday) I offer a few observations:-

(1) It pays to be in Details View, rather than Large Icons, List, or any other view (slaps own forehead)

(2) I used a benchmark of “Name, Date Modified, Type, Size” which I felt would cause me the least displeasure over the next twenty years.

(3) I chose the folder “C:\Users\Chris070\AppData\Roaming\Greaves\Indxr\” as a starting point because
(a) my C-drive is not mapped in any way and
(b) I wanted to see if the settings would truly apply to all folders, even though I set the benchmark at so deep a level.
The new settings (N,DM,T,S) appeared to be in place throughout my drive C, at least, wherever I looked. Score one for Ken.

(4) My new settings were not applied to the folder “T:\Blotter\20181104”.
At first I thought that Apply To All didn’t like my encrypted data drive (TrueCrypt-revealed as drive T).
Then I though it might be because that folder has only JPG files in it.
Traps for Young Players: It is not “Apply To All”, it is “Apply To All folders OF THIS TYPE”.

(5) I found another T:\Blotter folder with only JPG files, went back to the previous Blotter folder with only JPG files, set N,DM,T,S, “Apply To All”, and found that the second folders settings were N,DM,T,S. Score two for Ken.

(6) Next I visited the folder “T:\Music\2017\201709\20170923\” which has only MP3 files and displayed such rubbishy headings as “Artist”, “Album”, “#” and so on.
I set N,DM,T,S. “Apply To All”, and checked “T:\Music\2017\201712\20171219”. Score three for Ken.

(7) Tomorrow I will reboot and re-inspect these folders. I will see if drive B: has N,DM,T,S settings, because drive B: is a SUBSTitute drive for (tomorrow) “T:\Blotter\20181204\”, a folder that does not exist today.
That is, will a folder that existed in name but not in practice be assigned my chosen default headings (N,DM,T,S)? (Note that B: is SUBST to a folder on drive T: which is mapped from TrueCrypt!). If so, it will be score four for Ken, and a big wet sloppy kiss on both cheeks!

(8) For the life of me I cannot figure out why MSoft did not include a blanket “Apply to all folders, regardless of type”, except that they really, really hate me.

(9) (Tuesday) The bad news for Ken is that my newly-created folder “T:\Blotter\20181204\”, (SUBST) identified as “B:\”, exhibits N,DM,T,S.
Perfectly.

(10) (Tuesday) I created two new folders, both called “Test” in drives B: and C:. Into them I copied ONLY three MP3 files. Score five for Ken.

(11) (Tuesday) I wait here, patiently, for an opportunity to prove Ken wrong.

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You must have been wearing short pants to relatively late in your life! :evilgrin:

(12) It's Wednesday.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:You must have been wearing short pants to relatively late in your life! :evilgrin:
Last time I had a garden here in Toronto.
(12) It's Wednesday.
What don't you understand about Setting clocks back one hour?!!??? :laugh: :rofl:
Cheers
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

What prize do I get for scoring five?

As for putting mp3 files into a folder, my expereicne is that doing that can make Windows go into super (un)helpful mode and ignore the view settings you'd previously set and replace them with what it deems is sensible for audio files, i.e it displays tags and the like. A similar sort of thing can happen with jpgs and other graphic formats. Windows can sometimes ditch the details view and switch to little pictures view.

I gave up worrying about this sort of thing ages ago (but maybe not as far back as when was in short trousers). I simpy reset the view I like if I find Windows has changed things.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I also noticed that Windows tends to change the view settings when you place pictures, audio files or video files in a folder. A typical case of Microsoft trying to be helpful when it isn't wanted...
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

stuck wrote:What prize do I get for scoring five?
And what do I get for mentioning that it's only applied to folders of the same type?
Short pants?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:What prize do I get for scoring five?
Well Ken, at Four you got a big sloppy wet kiss on each cheek, so use your noggin!

The behaviour you describe I would have ascribed to MSoft’s idiotic design (and attitude “We know better than our users”), but now I’m wondering if – at least for my experience – I just hadn’t been doing it right. That is, I had not taken into account the conditional phrase “OF THIS TYPE”.
I, for one, will be keeping an eye on things.
Like my Moto_X Android phone which is a bit of a foreign body to Win7P.

I dream up all sorts of experiments:-

(1) Suppose a folder of MP3 defaults to Artist, Tags etc, and then the MP3s are deleted and replaced with a mixture of Doc, Xls, Ppt etc. Does Windows flip the settings? (in my case to: N,T,DM,S)
(2) Suppose a folder of MP3 defaults to Artist, Tags etc, and then the MP3s are deleted and replaced with a solid mass of only JPGs. Does Windows flip the settings to its MSoft-knows-best for graphics?
(3) Suppose a “regular” folder (in my case N,T,DM,S) is created and filled with only MP3 files? Or only JPG files? Does Windows flip the settings?
(4) Suppose I include in my morning boot sequence a command that loads a specific folder with MP3s on even-numbered dates and JPGs on odd-numbered dates. Does Windows go into some sort of hyper-ventilating Necker-Cube mode?

Now running a set of tests like these exhaustively would take some time, so we need to find someone with plenty of free time on their hands ...(wanders over to Scuttlebut) ...

Cheers
Chris