Win7HP Can't create system restore space, 0x8007007B

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Win7HP Can't create system restore space, 0x8007007B

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hello,
I am trying to configure System restore through Conrol Panel, but keep getting this incomprehensible Win7 pop-up message:-
RestorePoints.png

I appear to have 11GB free on drive C, and am asking for 4GB of that space to be made available:-
RestorePoints2.png

I found this page and this page on the web, but reducing the request to 5% did nothing for me, and running the "Run sfc /scannow" reported no errors.

I suspect, but can't prove, that 31GB is considered by Win7HP to be beneath its dignity.

Thanks in Advance for any advice

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Win7HP Can't create system restore space, 0x8007007B

Post by Argus »

Error or Symptom
System Restore fails with the following error:
There was an unexpected error. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect (0x8007007B). System Restore will now close.
This error is caused by faulty imaging by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) that results in the presence of an invalid volume. To see if this is the problem, go to System in Control Panel and open System Protection. There will be two volumes shown, one of which is selected and named “Missing.” Selecting C: and deselecting “Missing” solves the problem.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fil ... -problems/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also:
https://mintywhite.com/vista/system-res ... x8007007b/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the pages you mention, I haven't looked close, they seem to discuss some other error code.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Unfortunately, your screenshots are all piled up on one another, so we can't check the prior settings you applied?
Last edited by viking33 on 01 Sep 2018, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I agree, Bob. I would expect to see Local Disk (or whatever volume name chosen) designated as (System), preferably with the Windows logo, in that dialogue box.

I didn't mention, but I think some other anomalies can result in the same error code, apart from including or selecting a missing volume, as can be seen in the error message. I.e. special characters in volume label etc. See:
https://www.sevenforums.com/backup-rest ... ost1118004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
Error or Symptom...
Argus, thanks for this response. I have d/l the two links and will work through them later this evening.
FWIW I tried (using the second link) to "uncheck the C(missing)" but my Win7P does not let me uncheck/disable/remove that drive. I tried right-click, double-click to no avail.
SystemRestore03.png
SystemRestore04.png
These two screen shots show me essaying to make use of around 2+Gb of the 11GB remaining on my drive C:.
I have just realized that I am used to a much larger partition, and specifying around 20% for System Restore. There will be, of course, an absolute minium for a single image, so I may have crossed that threshold.

My hard drive is partitioned into a C: and an F:(data) partition.
If all else fails I will go back to the DVD backup I created when I bought this machine, just in case "it is something that i said" (or did!)

It seems to me that the most immediate task now is for me to get rid of this "C missing" drive.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

To turn off "protection", i.e. System Restore, select the drive (in this case "(C:) Missing)") in the first dialogue box (System Properties), click Configure, and then select the "radio button" labelled Turn System Protection Off at the top. :smile:

(Sorry that the second link was a bit unclear, there are quite many pages that show that dialogue, and picked one.)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:... click Configure, and then select the "radio button" labelled Turn System Protection Off at the top. :smile:
Thanks Argus.
Also "TaDa!!!"
SystemRestore06.png
Cheers
Chris
P.S. I made a System Restore point straight away.
Chris