USB Pop up

Roderunner
5StarLounger

USB Pop up

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, quite often the pop up in my image appears when connecting a Thumb Drive, removavble HDD or just moving my USB powered mouse. Sometimes only when moving my mouse with nothing else connected. I keep unticking the box but it makes no difference.
RR.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: USB Pop up

Post by Argus »

You haven't mentioned any question. :smile:

You can check the Properties for USB Host Controllers, in the Device manager; Advanced tab, there should be a similar check box, and another to suppress (all) USB error messages.

That said, perhaps not as elegant solution as one might wish, but at least not much effort, but you don't mention info about the hardware.

(Ah, there is a KB article.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Argus, I thought I had explained quite clearly what was happening. I didnt think I needed to ask for a solution.
Thanks for the KB link. This is what I found.
-
To turn off this error message, you must follow these steps:
Open Device Manager. To do this, click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc in the Run window, and then click OK.
Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section at the bottom of the device manager window.
Locate and then double-click a host controller that has either the word Universal or the word Open in the title.
In the properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab, and then select the Don't tell me about USB errors check box.
Note If you turn off this option, all other USB error messages are also turned off.

Nothing like this appears in my Device Manager.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes, I know what the article says; but I didn't mention to look for the words "Universal" or "Open", since that's not necessary (at least not on my computers).

I've now fired up a VM with Windows 7 to get a quick screenshot in English of the Advanced tab. (Properties for one of the USB Host Controllers.)
USB Host Controller Properties Advanced.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I changed the settings in my image just after your last reply ( notice the different headers) and the pop up I got in my first post still appeared ( only my usb mouse connected)
RR.PNG
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I don't know if this (quite common phenomenon) is more prevalent on laptops, but laptops usually have several (built-in) devices connected to each USB controller, such as card readers, camera etc. so could be. I.e. the USB controllers have to share the current between all these devices and whatever the user connect to external ports. That said a mouse doesn’t need High Speed (USB 2). Could be something else going on.

There are separate settings for each controller; so if unticking a box and then moving a device to another port (under another controller) one might get to see the box with a checkmark again.

Then there are other solutions, depending on what's going on; checking drivers, let Windows reinstall drivers, check hardware etc.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Argus I dont have a camera or card reader on my Laptop. AFAIK all my drivers are up to date.
Laptop only has 3 usb2 ports.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.