Run as Administrator

BobH
UraniumLounger

Run as Administrator

Post by BobH »

I’m having problems with my desktop Windows 7 system. In fact, I might have several simultaneous problems.

Several apps I use must be run with administrator privileges. I seem to be unable to invoke admin privilege. Right-clicking on program icons in the Start window does nothing. I found an article on the ‘Net giving instructions to right- click then close Properties then advanced and tick the roa box then clic OK. I couldn’t do this in the start window (no response to right clicking) so I tried it with a desktop program icon. I could navigate to and tick the roa box and click ok but on looking at the same advanced properties just after making the change the roa box is no longer showing a check mark.

Although it might be a coincidence, I’m also having trouble staying connected to the ‘Net on the Windows desktop but can connect and stay connected on iPads and iPhones. This leads me to believe that my Win 7 system has program launch problems AND communication problems. (I’m posting from an iPad.). Malware bytes detects no issues. My Win 7 is up to date except for aSkype update but I don’t use Skype at all. Every time I’ve ever tried it I’ve had problems so I don’t use it.

Suggestion and ideas will be gratefully received and greatly appreciated.
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Run as Administrator

Post by Roderunner »

Hi BobH, try this method.
RR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Sounds like the account you have used to log in to your Win 7 is not an admin account, i.e. one that does not have local admin rights. NB that type of account is not to be confused with The (hidden) Administrator account.

Look in the Control Panel and click through to User Accounts. Assuming you've only got one account on the PC you'll see the account name and type next the picture. There is also a link to change your account type.

Does this help?

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen!

My log in is as Administrator. Mine is the only account in CP>UserAccount.

Since my last post I've discovered another strange issue. In trying to remove all vestiges of my VPN client yet again using RevoUninstaller, I discovered afterward by using an Everything search that some components remain. In trying to delete them I received a message that administrator privileges are required to do so; however I'm logged in with my only user account with Administrator privileges. :hairout: :scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:...My log in is as Administrator...
In which case I'm out of ideas.

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Bob,
Are you logging in using the Administrator account or are you logging in using a different account name which is a member of the Admin Group?

If you are using the Administrator account which one should NEVER do, then you just may be in line in doing a system rebuild.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 21:38
Several apps I use must be run with administrator privileges. I seem to be unable to invoke admin privilege.
Hi Bob. I won this tip as a bonus from the VoidTools Forum:

TIP: A quick way to start a program "As administrator" in Everything 1.5 is by pressing 'CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER' on that file.

Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace