Cannot Uninstall a Program from Programs and Features

BobH
UraniumLounger

Cannot Uninstall a Program from Programs and Features

Post by BobH »

I've been trying to solve a problem with VPN client software. The software publisher has provided support but one of the instructions was to remove their client software from the CP>...>Programs and Features list. I found the entry but cannot find any action that will uninstall/remove/delete the entry. This is the first time I've ever encountered an entry that would not uninstall. I tried the usual clicking, double-clicking, and right-clicking and choosing Uninstall/Change all to no avail. I looked in the Registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:SOFTWARE) and found no entry for this program.

Perhaps I inferred incorrectly that Programs and Features listed the app level software from that part of the Registry. If I should look elsewhere, I need advice.

Has anyone here ever encountered a Programs and Features entry that would not uninstall? If so, what did you do to fix the problem?

My ultimate step will be to go back to a System Restore, but I want to make that a last resort.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Cannot Uninstall a Program from Programs and Features

Post by DaveA »

Why are you looking in the registry to uninstall a program the should be listed through the Control Panel?
Have you tired Right clicking the entry in Programs and Features?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave, the subject of this thread is "Cannot Uninstall a Program from Programs and Features", and Bob wrote
BobH wrote:... to remove their client software from the CP>...>Programs and Features list. I found the entry but cannot find any action that will uninstall/remove/delete the entry. (...) I tried the usual clicking, double-clicking, and right-clicking and choosing Uninstall/Change all to no avail.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:I've been trying to solve a problem with VPN client software...
What happens if you run Revo Uninstaller, does that find the software in question?

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

That's ME in your avatar, Ken. I completely forgot about REVO UI. Another senior moment, I guess.

Thanks for reminding me. It found a bunch of leftover file traces referencing my VPN software. I deleted them all and the stubborn entry in CP>...>Programs and Features is now gone! Cheers! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs