New Mystery

Roderunner
5StarLounger

New Mystery

Post by Roderunner »

Still unable to find cause of Event Viewer not working. So I was looking for info on remastering my Laptop when this appeared.
RR.png
This was rather strange, as their was nothing connected to my Laptop.

What method of remastering do you suggest. My Packard Bell laptop came with Vista on it & I want Win7 Home Premium 32bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: New Mystery

Post by viking33 »

This has been around a while but I have used it often enough. Seems to work fine.
---------------------------------------
How to remove unused devices in Device Manager.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to command prompt. (start>run, type cmd then enter)
To show really hidden devices and troubleshoot ghost devices:

At command prompt type:

"set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1. Enter.
Change folder towindows\system32. (ex. C:windows\system32)

Type" start devmgmt.msc, press enter.
In Device manager select "view" and click "show hidden devices".
Now all devices should show up. Non-present devices are seen dimmer.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

viking33 wrote:This has been around a while but I have used it often enough. Seems to work fine.
---------------------------------------
How to remove unused devices in Device Manager.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to command prompt. (start>run, type cmd then enter)
To show really hidden devices and troubleshoot ghost devices:

At command prompt type:

"set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1. Enter.
Change folder towindows\system32. (ex. C:windows\system32)

Type" start devmgmt.msc, press enter.
In Device manager select "view" and click "show hidden devices".
Now all devices should show up. Non-present devices are seen dimmer.
Could you please explain how your post relates to my post. I was happily surfing when the image I attached popped up, telling me my device could perform faster if connected to a usb2 port when there were no devices connected.?
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

What appears in the computer's device manager for USB ports? Does it say that you have a 10-port USB device although it's a phantom device? If so, VikingBob's suggestion might be appropriate.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

It struck me that possibly there are some devices in there that may be leftovers or corrupt and your machine is trying to access them?

You don't know if you don't try it? No big deal. Why refuse a suggestion if you just dismiss it, when you are asking for some help?
BOB

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Clever!

For posterity, here's the command sequence in a cut-n-paste friendly format:

Code: Select all

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
cd C:\windows\system32
start devmgmt.msc
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

viking33 wrote:It struck me that possibly there are some devices in there that may be leftovers or corrupt and your machine is trying to access them?
You don't know if you don't try it? No big deal. Why refuse a suggestion if you just dismiss it, when you are asking for some help?
Hi Bob, The reason for my inappropriate post is my description of the event. I was happily surfing when a pop up popped up on the task bar telling me my device could perform faster if connected to a usb2 port. There were nothing connected to any port on my Laptop at that time. I was able to click the pop up which gave me the image i posted. I was more inclined not to be reminded of this although it had happened before. I unticked the box in the image.
I also accessed Device Manager and Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller showed no errors and the driver was upto date.
I have also been having trouble with Event Viewer not working. I have just almost finished doing a 'No re-format non-destructive Install' just a few updates to do, hence my late reply and apology to you.
P.S. Event Viewer now works.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

This is how Device Manager looks after my reinstall and was the same before.
RR.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Roderunner wrote:Could you please explain how your post relates to my post. I was happily surfing when the image I attached popped up, telling me my device could perform faster if connected to a usb2 port when there were no devices connected.?
Maybe it's phantom pain in the motherboard. :grin:

What Bob (viking33) suggested won’t hurt (and you would get a full view).
(If not the usual case, connecting a USB 3 or USB 2 device to a USB 2 or USB 1.1 port, it could perhaps be problem with the ports or drivers.)

There are often more things than USB sticks and external drives connected to the USB controller and its hub(s) on a laptop (via internal connections). Card readers, camera and whatnot. Why the latter should complain I don't know, but, for example, a cable could be damaged etc.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Roderunner wrote:
viking33 wrote:It struck me that possibly there are some devices in there that may be leftovers or corrupt and your machine is trying to access them?
Hi Bob, The reason for my inappropriate post is my description of the event. I was happily surfing when a pop up popped up on the task bar telling me my device could perform faster if connected to a usb2 port. There were nothing connected to any port on my Laptop at that time. I was able to click the pop up which gave me the image i posted. I was more inclined not to be reminded of this although it had happened before. I unticked the box in the image.
I also accessed Device Manager and Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller showed no errors and the driver was upto date.
I have also been having trouble with Event Viewer not working. I have just almost finished doing a 'No re-format non-destructive Install' just a few updates to do, hence my late reply and apology to you.
P.S. Event Viewer now works.
OK, no problem, George. :cheers:
BOB

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Argus wrote:
Roderunner wrote:Could you please explain how your post relates to my post. I was happily surfing when the image I attached popped up, telling me my device could perform faster if connected to a usb2 port when there were no devices connected.?
Maybe it's phantom pain in the motherboard. :grin:

What Bob (viking33) suggested won’t hurt (and you would get a full view).
(If not the usual case, connecting a USB 3 or USB 2 device to a USB 2 or USB 1.1 port, it could perhaps be problem with the ports or drivers.)

There are often more things than USB sticks and external drives connected to the USB controller and its hub(s) on a laptop (via internal connections). Card readers, camera and whatnot. Why the latter should complain I don't know, but, for example, a cable could be damaged etc.
Please read post 213240
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Roderunner wrote:Please read post 213240
One more time?
I did, before I posted earlier.

I could've said, that since you are going to re-install the OS, as you mentioned in your first post, there is not much of a topic left.
However, if, for example, there is problem with the hardware, a change in software will not not change much.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Argus wrote:
Roderunner wrote:Please read post 213240
One more time?
I did, before I posted earlier.

I could've said, that since you are going to re-install the OS, as you mentioned in your first post, there is not much of a topic left.
However, if, for example, there is problem with the hardware, a change in software will not not change much.
My reason for posting was I was soo glad its fixed, thanks.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Good to hear. :thumbup: