problem with shortcut link: shortcut won’t be deleted

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: problem with shortcut link: shortcut won’t be deleted

Post by BobArch2 »

Argus wrote:I don't understand why the thread goes on, a solution has been posted; unless I've missed something and Chris is running the free version. :smile:
Chris did get rid of the offending icon by uninstalling MWB but he has yet to reinstall the app. Thus the rationale for continuing the thread. :grin:
Regards,
Bob

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:Chris, MalwareBytes is used to dealing with -- yup -- malware. If some smartalec hacker could sneak a malicious program onto your computer and modify the MalwareBytes icon to run that program instead, you know where the blame would land. :hairout: So besides protecting its core code, MWB protects its icon. The only way to change or delete the icon (at least, I hope it's the only way) is to turn off MWB's self-protection temporarily.
Thanks Jay, this all makes sense and I had secretly suspected that MWB was protecting me from myself.

That said, I'm still (but only mildly) puzzled as to why MWB suspects that a smartalec could get onto my computer and effect a change to the shortcut icon.
I get your line of logic absolutely.
But it seems to me that if a smartalec can get close enough to modify a desktop icon, then I'm "already dead", so to speak.

I had issues some ten+ years ago with a colleague's version of one of the two popular anti-virus packages that wouldn't allow my buddy to declare that my (locked) utility template was OK (we were in partnership, after all) and, of course, wouldn't allow my buddy to remove the anti-virus package from his system. I suspect my pal was the more aggravated of the two of us.

Cheers.
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobArch2 wrote:Hey Der Chris, I could not leave your issue alone so decided to do some testing. :grin:
Hi Bob, and thanks for forging ahead and landing on the shores of MWB v3.1.2.1733.
MWB.png
I suspect that I had installed 3.0.4.1269.

I further suspect that MWB cleaned up its act, in a manner of speaking, and relaxed its scrutiny (I'm being careful here, this being a family-oriented board) a little..

I am d/l mb3-setup-consumer-3.1.2.1733-1.0.160-1.0.2251 as we squeak.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:I didn't notice what version you have, Chris. I do not see any self protection given to MWB on my system either.
Thanks Other-Bob.
As noted, I suspect that my version was a bit-of-a-rogue, and I'll try the latest version.
With my luck it will have some feature that forbids me to eat cheese more than once a week ... :laugh: :rofl:

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobArch2 wrote:[Chris did get rid of the offending icon by uninstalling MWB but he has yet to reinstall the app. Thus the rationale for continuing the thread. :grin:
As usual, It's all my fault ... :laugh: :rofl: :flee:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

FWIW:
So I now have MWB 3.1.2.1733 installed (at least, I did have until the trial period expired and it all just went away)
MWB001.png
Windows 7HP allows me to create a shortcut icon on the desktop.

MWB002.png
The shortcut icon appears.

MWB003.png
I am/was allowed to delete the shortcut.

More than ever I suspect that the issue with not deleting a shortcut was a bit-of-a-design-mistake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.