Kb4012215 safe?

mipendance
StarLounger

Kb4012215 safe?

Post by mipendance »

Hi - Woody had been advising not getting this update - does this still hold? Can't find any new posting on this on AskWoody. Thank you.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Kb4012215 safe?

Post by viking33 »

mipendance wrote:Hi - Woody had been advising not getting this update - does this still hold? Can't find any new posting on this on AskWoody. Thank you.
What has Woodie been saying about this update?
I've had it installed since it came out around March 15. No problem.
It's a roll-up of security updates for Win 7 64bit systems. For more details see THIS ARTICLE
I'd say go for it.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Woody doesn't except KB4012215 from his general recommendation to update Windows and Office from the 30th of March. At least one contributor to his forum mentions installing it without problems, so I guess you can go ahead.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Woody's current approach to patching Win 7 & 8.1 is to first ask you, how much do you mind about MS installing patches that send telemetry back to their servers? If your answer is, "I don't", then he classes you as being in what he calls Group A. If though your answer is, "I'd like to minimise the amount of data MS collects from my machine" then he classes you as being in what he calls Group B.

If you're in his Group A he advises you install the 'Security Monthly Quality Rollup' patch that's published every month

If you are in his Group B he advises that you do not install the 'Security Monthly Quality Rollup' patch that's published every month and instead manually download and install the security only patches.

For more details start here:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/318667 ... march.html
and scroll down to the section on Win 7. That section includes a link to a page on the askwoody site that lists and links to the security only patches on the MS site.

Ken

mipendance
StarLounger

Post by mipendance »

Thank you for your informative post and the link.