Is This a Problem or Something I Just Never Noticed?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Is This a Problem or Something I Just Never Noticed?

Post by BobH »

In trying to find some files and looking across several different hard drives, I opened File Explorer (or Windows Explorer or whatever it's called nowadays) and navigated to the 'Computer' folder. I then entered the search argument in the panel at the top left corner of the display screen. Upon pressing 'Enter' nothing happened.

Can anyone tell me why or what to look for that might be causing this?

or is it a feature that I don't know about. . .

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Is This a Problem or Something I Just Never Noticed?

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:In trying to find some files and looking across several different hard drives, I opened File Explorer (or Windows Explorer or whatever it's called nowadays) and navigated to the 'Computer' folder. I then entered the search argument in the panel at the top left corner of the display screen. Upon pressing 'Enter' nothing happened.

Can anyone tell me why or what to look for that might be causing this?

or is it a feature that I don't know about. . .

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
What was a search argument you tried?
I just went into Computer in my machine and tried a few different things and it did it's thing and came up with answers for all I gave it. I can try your arguments and see if it works here?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

It may or may not help to make sure that the Windows Search service is running: Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services (use Run As Administrator on the right-click menu to start the app) and look at the Windows Search item. If it doesn't say Started in the Status column, right-click it and click Start.

If that isn't it, try starting an Administrator command window and running the command

Code: Select all

sfc /scannow

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Jay Freedman wrote:It may or may not help to make sure that the Windows Search service is running: Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services (use Run As Administrator on the right-click menu to start the app) and look at the Windows Search item. If it doesn't say Started in the Status column, right-click it and click Start.

If that isn't it, try starting an Administrator command window and running the command

Code: Select all

sfc /scannow

I looked at Services in Admin Tools. I found no listing for 'Search'. The list went from the R's to 'security'.

What is strange is that I can run searches against other folders but not the 'Computer' folder.

Viking Bob - I was doing a search for SketchUp files with the argument '*.skp' which is the extension for those files.

Jay - I don't understand the instructions you put at the end of your post.

I figured it out. I ran 'command' from the Start panel and right clicked and chose 'run as administrator' then entered the 'sfc /scannow' command. The scan is running now.

UPDATE: After the scan I got a message saying:"WIndows resource protection did not find any system integrity violations.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

In the Services list, it's "Windows Search" in the W's. It probably doesn't matter much, though; after I stopped that service, the search still ran, but just put up a message that searches would be slow because the index wasn't running.

You did get the sfc scan running correctly. It's somewhat reassuring that it didn't find anything wrong, but unfortunately that doesn't answer your original question. Can you find the files by starting at the C: drive (or whatever drive you keep your documents on)?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Jay!

Could you hear me slapping myself in the forehead over 'Windows Search?'

When I found the service it was started and set to run at start up. It appears as if nothing is wrong there; however, when I open files of the .skp type I get a message saying that the file is in use by another application even though I have only one instance of SketchUp running according to Task Manager.

Yes, I can find my files using the search argument in any individual drive or sub-folder but not at the top level of 'computer.'

I remembered that I had not installed updates for a couple of weeks. I'm doing that now to see if it makes any difference.

Malwarebytes found nothing.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

As an additional option, I can suggest to try using "Everything".
It finds, well... everything. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:As an additional option, I can suggest to try using "Everything".
It finds, well... everything. :grin:
Thanks, Rudi!

I have found the files I needed using Searchy. I can't think of 'everything' now can I? :scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Afraid I can't help more, Bob but since I don't use Sketchup, it DID do a search but of course, didn't find any .skp files.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.