Cannot view processes in Task Manager

jmt356
SilverLounger

Cannot view processes in Task Manager

Post by jmt356 »

I have a computer running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) that is extremely slow. In order to determine which processes might be slowing it down, I have launched the Task Manager. However, rather than showing tabs up top for Processes, Performance, etc., the Task Manager just shows the programs that are running. It does not show what percentage of the CPU and memory each program is using and it does not show which background processes are running.

Is my Task Manager corrupted?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cannot view processes in Task Manager

Post by HansV »

Try double-clicking the border around the list of programs - see Task Manager - Small Footprint Mode.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks Hans. That was it!

In the Processes tab of the Task Manager in Windows 8, when I try to end a process, Windows warns me when the process is associated with a System file that may result in an unstable system if terminated. However, in Windows 7, every process I try to end gives a warning about losing unsaved data and potentially resulting in an unstable system. Is there no way to discriminate in Windows 7 between processes that if ended result in an unstable system and those that will not result in an unstable system?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, I don't think so. You'll have to judge for yourself, and be careful.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Suppose I end a process and, as a result, Windows becomes unstable. Can this be resolved by restarting the computer? Or can ending a process result in permanent damage?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It won't result in permanent damage. Restarting Windows should solve any problem caused by ending a process.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have tried ending every process that does not appear to me to be essential, yet the computer still runs very slowly.

I saw an Avast pop-up a couple of weeks ago offering Avast Cleanup for $34.99 that would supposedly disable some 20 unnecessary programs detected running on my computer. I ignored the pop-up at the time but now that I reconsider, it may be a good idea to invest in. Is anyone familiar with this product? Has anyone tried it? Does it effectively speed up a slow computer?

BTW, this is a laptop with an Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz processor, 4.00 GB of installed RAM memory and a 581 GB hard drive, over more than half of which is empty, running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), so there is no reason why it should be running so slowly.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I would not by anything yet (esp. if there is NO guarantee that it will resolve the issue!)

Work yourself through this comprehensive list (try not to skip any steps) and see if it might make a difference to your PC's performance!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I would NOT recommend buying/using Avast Cleanup. Such utilities are largely useless.
Best wishes,
Hans