What Happened to my Image Icons?

BobH
UraniumLounger

What Happened to my Image Icons?

Post by BobH »

Another one of those days when I'm the bug and not the windshield . . .

I just noticed that when using File Explorer to view lists of image files, with one of the 'show icons' options, I see only icons that Win7 wants to use. I know that I used to see icon sized images that the files contain. I can't seem to locate any options that would allow me to see the smaller images of file contents.

Anyone . . . ?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: What Happened to my Image Icons?

Post by Rudi »

What happens if you CTRL+Mouse Wheel on the icons?
This should resize them and switch between the different icon modes...

Also, what image file type is it you are dealing with? JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, BMP ??
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Another one of those days when I'm the bug and not the windshield . . .

I just noticed that when using File Explorer to view lists of image files, with one of the 'show icons' options, I see only icons that Win7 wants to use. I know that I used to see icon sized images that the files contain. I can't seem to locate any options that would allow me to see the smaller images of file contents.

Anyone . . . ?

I don't know if we are on the same page, Bob, but if you right click on the file, go to change icon and it will display the MS choice of icons, Then click browse and go to the folder of the particular file and see what might be displayed. If it's there, you are in business and click that icon.
I have a small separate Storage drive where I have hundreds of icon choices. That's where I'll usually go rather than use the MS suggestions.
icons.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I think you are looking for the icons when in the Windows explorer and they apply to image files only.

There is small, medium, large and extra large, they will be using the Display icon on the upper right of the Windows Explorer pane.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the responses. Here is a screen shot that shows my problem.
icon issue.png
As you can see, the icons do not show the image contained in the file. I don't know where the icons come from. If I right click on an icon and look at Properties, the File Opens With value seems to be the icon chosen by the named app, but I really don't know what's going on. As you can see it affects GIF, JPG and PNG images. Although not shown here, it also happens with TIF files.

In the past, icons would be reduced sized actual images as contained in the files. Not knowing when the problem started, I cannot relate the change to any event or software installation or update. Might it possibly be due to a Windows Update? If so, which one.

I would like to return to seeing an icon-sized image of the actual pic or graphic in each file. Having the actual image reduced to an icon allows much easier selection of files.

?????

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Try this:

1. Open your Windows Explorer.
2. From the menu, Organize > Folder and Search Options
3. This will pop-up the Folder Options window.
4. Click the View tab.
5. Uncheck the following option, if it’s checked: "Always show icons, never thumbnails"
6. Click on Apply.
7. Click on OK.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Something to try:

Make sure you haven't selected 'Always show icons...' in your Folder Options > View tab...
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you gentlemen! :thumbup: :chocciebar: :thumbup: :chocciebar: for each of you.

I have never followed that path knowingly - didn't even know the option existed; so I have no idea how it got changed. I still suspect some software or software update as the culprit.

Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)