Slow Running Windows 7 Computer

HansV
Administrator

Re: Slow Running Windows 7 Computer

Post by HansV »

Task Manager should remember the options that you set.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow when I turn the computer on.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well on first boot it is still slow even with SearchIndexer.exe disabled so I compared the processes again and found the 3 following processes running when it is running slow. I searched the WEB to identify them and not sure why they do not run when the machine is running normally. Any ideas?

ncs2prov.exe is a NCS2Prov belonging to Intel (R) PROSet for Windows* Device Manager from Intel(R) Corporation We strongly recommend that you run a FREE registry scan to identify ncs2prov.exe related errors.

Sppsvc.exe
The process known as Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service belongs to software Microsoft Windows Operating System or sppsvc by Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Description: Sppsvc.exe is an important part of Windows, but often causes problems. Sppsvc.exe is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. The file size on Windows 8/7/XP is 3,179,520 bytes.
Sppsvc.exe is a Windows core system file. The program has no visible window. It is a Microsoft signed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 1% dangerous; however you should also read the user reviews.
Recommended: Identify sppsvc.exe related errors
 If sppsvc.exe is located in the C:\Windows folder, the security rating is 49% dangerous. The file size is 10,240 bytes. The sppsvc.exe file is located in the Windows folder, but it is not a Windows core file. The program is not visible. It is not a Windows system file.
 If sppsvc.exe is located in a subfolder of C:\Windows, the security rating is 16% dangerous. The file size is 3,524,608 bytes. Sppsvc.exe is a Microsoft signed file. The program is not visible. It is not a Windows core file.
Important: Some malware disguises itself as sppsvc.exe, particularly when not located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Therefore, you should check the sppsvc.exe process on your PC to see if it is a threat. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. This was one of the Top Download Picks of The Washington Post and PC World.

Trustedinstaller.exe is an important process and its periodical high CPU usage is normal, not an aberration or a flaw. Part of the “Windows Module Installer”, trustedinstaller.exe main purpose is to check for new Windows updates.

I’m going to attach the Print Screen files of the Task Manager with the CPU usage and CPU Time listed for them sorted highest value at the top but you can’t see all the processes that have a “0” value. Even though it show 4 processes difference and I only found 3 I believe is because I had a Windows Explorer window opened checking that I had actually created the Processes.txt files when I captured the screen shot of the machine when it was running slower. The machine when running slower will be the first attachment.
Processes-Slow1.jpg
Processes-Normal1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You don't have to worry about processes that don't use a significant amount of CPU time.

The only real difference that I see between the two screenshots is that Malwarebytes Antimalware (mbam.exe) is using 13% in the "slow" version. This means that Malwarebytes Antimalware is running a scan. Have you set it to start automatically?

I also notice that IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe is using 11-12% in both versions. Try the following:
- Click the Start button.
- Enter Services in the Search box, then press Enter.
- Look for Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology.
- Right-click it and select Properties from the context menu.
- Change the startup type from "Automatic (Delayed Start)" to "Manual", then click OK.
S0532.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Malwarebytes is set to start with Windows but I have not made any changes to that and a scan when done manually takes about 20 minutes so not sure if that would be the problem or not. I guess I could turn that off to test it. There is an option to delay protection at start up but not sure that would help since the computer sits sometimes for 45 minutes before I try anything after booting it up and it is still slow until I either let Ccleaner complete or reboot the computer.

I set Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology to manual and I’ll see if that helps tomorrow.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If Malwarebytes Antimalware continually uses more than 1 or 2 percent of your processor capacity, you might reconsider having it running all the time.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:If Malwarebytes Antimalware continually uses more than 1 or 2 percent of your processor capacity, you might reconsider having it running all the time.
Yeah I'll have to keep an eye on that but even when the computer is running normally that mbam.exe was running but was way down on the list.

Hans I have to ask this though; I think you are saying the "13" under the CPU column is a percentage of the processor's capacity if I am understanding correctly. If that is the case the System Idle Process when running slow was listed at 76 and when running normally it was listed at 89. Does that seem right? I guess what I'm asking in a round about way is when I look at it as a percentage, as I have now come to believe it is, if one program like mbam.exe uses 13 percent then the percentage that System Idle Process uses drops. So it appears the more percentage that System Idle Process uses the better off the performance of the machine is. Am I understanding this correctly?

I am a little leery of turning off Malawarebytes because it has on a couple occasions stopped malware that apparently MS Essentials missed or let through if it is, in fact, the first line of defense. I can and will test to see if it is the culprit but if it turns out it is I may have to live with booting twice so I stay better protected.

I guess I will know tomorrow if setting Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology to manual helped. I am really hoping it did.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

In the Malwarebytes interface, go to Settings and then, on the left side, to Advanced Settings. In the middle of the list, set the "Delay protection at startup" to a larger number -- try 60 or 120 seconds. That might let Windows finish getting things done before scanning starts.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

hlewton wrote:
HansV wrote:Hans I have to ask this though; I think you are saying the "13" under the CPU column is a percentage of the processor's capacity if I am understanding correctly. If that is the case the System Idle Process when running slow was listed at 76 and when running normally it was listed at 89. Does that seem right? I guess what I'm asking in a round about way is when I look at it as a percentage, as I have now come to believe it is, if one program like mbam.exe uses 13 percent then the percentage that System Idle Process uses drops. So it appears the more percentage that System Idle Process uses the better off the performance of the machine is. Am I understanding this correctly?
Please read my reply Post=155063 earlier in this thread again; it explains about System Idle Process.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:In the Malwarebytes interface, go to Settings and then, on the left side, to Advanced Settings. In the middle of the list, set the "Delay protection at startup" to a larger number -- try 60 or 120 seconds. That might let Windows finish getting things done before scanning starts.
Thanks I may have to try that.

Today I didn't get to the machine until it sat idle for an hour and 15 minutes. By the time I tested it it ran fine and Malawatrebytes was using 0 CPU and this was the first boot up of the day. So I'm not sure if my delay or disabling Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology yesterday was the reason it ran fine. Tomorrow I'll test it by using it immediately after start up.

I am wondering if the new versions of Malawarebyte that have come out recently and that I have installed have developed some conflict with MS Essentials. I have another machine that basically runs all the same programs as this slow one does except my anti-virus program on it is Vipre and it is running fine.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote: Please read my reply Post=155063 earlier in this thread again; it explains about System Idle Process.
Thanks Hans, sorry I didn't remember that.
Regards,
hlewton

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I thought the Intel RST was for RAID drives and that the built-in MS version was just as capable as the Intel. Also not necessary for "standard" HDs.
( I know I'm not using it )
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

viking33 wrote:I thought the Intel RST was for RAID drives and that the built-in MS version was just as capable as the Intel. Also not necessary for "standard" HDs.
( I know I'm not using it )
I'm fairly certain my hard drive is not RAID because that DiskCheckup utility that PJ_in_FL here had me use to check the speed of it doesn't work on RAID drives if I remember correctly and when I check the device manager it shows the disk as an ATA drive which I also believe means it isn't RAID but I sure could be wrong in my thinking. I know one thing for sure I did not turn it on so some installation must have done that but if it isn't necessary I'm not going to turn it back on. OH I just noticed IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the device manager as well so I'm still thinking I don't have the RAID type.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you don't have a RAID disk, Intel Rapid Storage Technology still offers some advantages, but it is not essential. If it is using a lot of CPU capacity, you can try disabling it for a while to see what the effect is. You can always turn it back on again later, if necessary/desired.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:If you don't have a RAID disk, Intel Rapid Storage Technology still offers some advantages, but it is not essential. If it is using a lot of CPU capacity, you can try disabling it for a while to see what the effect is. You can always turn it back on again later, if necessary/desired.
Thanks Hans.

You may have found the culprit because even though Malawarebytes was "only" using between 7 and 9 percent today it was running slowly again. So I delayed the start of it by 3 minutes and I'll check tomorrow to see if that helps. If not then I guess I have to make the decision on turning it off, waiting, or rebooting to get the to get the machine to run normally. What I'll have to take note of is when it runs normally after rebooting what is Malawarebytes doing at that time.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You should make sure you have the most current version of the Intel RST software. See Intel RST for download links.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:You should make sure you have the most current version of the Intel RST software. See Intel RST for download links.

Joe
OK Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

JoeP wrote:You should make sure you have the most current version of the Intel RST software. See Intel RST for download links.

Joe
Joe, So you are saying he should install RST, even though he doesn't have a RAID drive? :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Yep. He's running it already. From Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) Product Overview:

"Intel® Rapid Storage Technology offers new levels of protection, performance and expandability for desktop and mobile platforms. Whether using one or multiple hard drives, users can take advantage of enhanced performance and lower power consumption. When using more than one drive, the user can have added protection against data loss in the event of a hard drive failure."

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Joe
I haven't found a way to determine what version I have and after looking at the link and seeing the latest version being 13.6.0.1002 and making a reference to RAID drivers - Installs the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver version 13.6.0.1002 - all I did was re-enable the driver I have installed. Not sure if that is the best thing to do but believe I have proven that the Intel RST is not my problem.

BTW I did search the WEB to see if I could find how to check the version and I tried to determine the version using its properties under Computer Management but still could not find a way to get the version I have installed. Also am not sure what I found and mentioned above would be the driver I would need to install since it does specify RAID.
Regards,
hlewton