Syntax Questions

BobH
UraniumLounger

Syntax Questions

Post by BobH »

Syntax.gif
Can anyone point me to a wiki on how to interpret the syntax in the above folder names? More specifically, what significance does bracketing the name with percent symbols have?

Somewhere in the dim dark recesses of my mind I recall - probably incorrectly - that the use of the bracketing percent symbols indicated a place holder and that the actual value would be one of the user's choosing.

As you can see, I'm still struggling to set up an FTP server. I have some limited experience with UNIX and its derivatives; so the concept of root directories is not altogether foreign, but I do not know how this translates to Windows. Surely, somewhere in the Windows kernel there is a root but it generally is not accessible (is it?) via Windows Explorer; therefore, checking to see if the directories and folders exist at the root level is beyond my ken (but not Stuck's).

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Syntax Questions Found Some of the Answers Here

Post by BobH »

Environmental Variables Syntax

I'm still in pursuit of the %ftproot% variable equivalent in a Windows pathname.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Syntax Questions

Post by Rudi »

You've probably come across this page already...
I too cannot find anything reg. that %ftproot% variable?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:You've probably come across this page already...
I too cannot find anything reg. that %ftproot% variable?

After more exploration and reading and trial-and-error in IIS, I came to infer that %ftproot% is not a standard Windows EV but is a temporary variable that can be set. For example, in the table I posted the following appears:
%FtpRoot%\LocalUser\%UserName%

The path could be addressed in Windows as . . . (dirname)\LocalUser\(username), where (dirname) would be the name of an FTP server directory, LocalUser would be an explicitly declared subfolder (or a virtual one) and (username) would be an entry in the folder LocalUser. IOW, to define a pathname for a user in my FTP Server I would enter: C:\RHH.FTP.SERVER\LocalUser\Rudi.

I cannot speak with certainty about my inferences; but, so far, I've been able to use the construct successfully in my efforts. I have not, however, successfully completed setup and testing.

At least it keeps and old man out of trouble. :innocent:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Whatever FTP software you're using, its installer should create the %FtpRoot% environment variable and set its value. At any later time, any process (usually the FTP software itself, but also any batch file, script, or the command window) can retrieve the value and use it to access files. There shouldn't be any need for you to define the variable manually.

Different FTP servers might use different names for environment variables that serve the same purpose; I don't think there's any sort of standard name.