windows 7 issues with web sites

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Re: windows 7 issues with web sites

Post by sciencemagic »

Hans,

Thanks for your reply. When I open extensions, it shows nothing listed. So, I presume I must have already disabled them if in fact I did. When I open plug-ins, it shows about a half dozen of them. But, on all of them except one, it shows ask to activate. So, I presume they are not activated unless I am prompted to do so? It does show one that says always activate, and that one is Shockwave Flash, and I just updated that one to the latest version (a few minutes ago) because it advised to do so because of problems with the old version. But, I believe the old version wasn't being used, because my system was not allowing it to be used? What about all the asked to be activated plug-ins, Hans? Again, I presume they are not being activated until I do so, or our asked to be activated? Nonetheless, there are about a half dozen of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The ones saying Ask to Activate will not run unless you explicitly allow them to, so they aren't the cause of the slowness either.
Best wishes,
Hans

sciencemagic
StarLounger

Post by sciencemagic »

Hans,

What about my security protection vendor, Microsoft Security Essentials? Could that be a source of a problem? How could I temporarily turn it off?
Also, I just installed Google Chrome. But I'm unable to see the menu bar at the top like I do with either I.E. or Firefox. How do I set up Chrome to see that menu bar, Hans? Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft Security Essentials is a very unobtrusive security program, it has very little overhead, and I wouldn't recommend turning it off.

Google Chrome doesn't have a menu bar. It has a menu button instead, in the upper right corner of the window, below the Close button. It looks like three horizontal lines:
S0432.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
SilverLounger

Post by PaulB »

Also known as 'the hamburger'... :grin:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Chrome - I'm loving it?

or

Chrome - Home of the Whopper?
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
SilverLounger

Post by PaulB »

:laugh: :laugh:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Strange....my version of Chrome has always had a hamburger for settings. (Do you think my Chrome is fried?)
SC4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Mine looks slightly different - it's really fried:
SC4.jpg
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:laugh:

I'd have thought your button could have been a combo box.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.