Registry DWORD

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Registry DWORD

Post by Gloria E »

I hope someone can correct or confirm my thinking about this. In the registry what does the DWORD value one and zero mean? I seem to remember reading that the 0 means deny or not allowed and the 1 means the exact opposite. :scratch:

Just some more information to add to my computer knowledge.

Glori E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Registry DWORD

Post by StuartR »

Unfortunately there is no simple answer to your question.

The windows registry can store date as a STRING, a DWORD or a BINARY number. A DWORD is a "double word" - that is 32 bits of data, that you can enter in decimal or hexadecimal format.

The interpretation of the registry DWORD value is entirely up to whichever application or Windows component uses it. I could store number of pages in today's newspaper in there if that was what was important to my application.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Registry DWORD

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:I hope someone can correct or confirm my thinking about this. In the registry what does the DWORD value one and zero mean? I seem to remember reading that the 0 means deny or not allowed and the 1 means the exact opposite. :scratch:

Just some more information to add to my computer knowledge.

Glori E
As Stuart mentioned, there is no simple answer to your question, as there are many variables.

I THINK what you have in mind is mentioned in an excerpt on the subject:

"In hexadecimal format, 2 words consist of 8 digits, i.e., B2 01 23 F9 and thus the registry displays DWORD values as 8 digits with the decimal equivalent displayed in brackets. For example when you enter a hex data value of 1, the resulting display will be 0x00000001(1). DWORD values are commonly used for boolean type entries such as 0 for false or disabled, and 1 for true or enabled.

A little more light reading is shown for your reaading pleasure here:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0 ... asp?ID=361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.