Driver View

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Driver View

Post by viking33 »

NIRSOFT has come out with an updated little :free: utility that will scan your system and give you a complete list of all installed drivers ( Microsoft and 3rd party ) giving everything you have ever wanted to know and more about the installed drivers in your system. Good for all OSs except for the older NT and Win95 and up including to Windows 8.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :clapping:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Driver View

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Bob!
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks from me too, Bob.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Nir Sofer has written a huge range of utilities which provide Useful Information, a sort of partial successor to the SysInternals utilities. It's well worth spending ten minutes or so scanning down the list, to see if there's anything you could use at the moment, or in the future. He keeps the utilities frequently updated, about two or three updates every couple of days. He's quite responsive to suggestions - a couple of the WakeMeOnLAN features are My Fault!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

A couple of his password utilities are often flagged by anti-malware.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Very true! Quite a number of his utilities are flagged as malware, to the extent that he has given up trying to get the AV companies to see sense. (See, for example, this blog entry.) There is no consistency about these misattributions; different companies choose to flag different utilities as "infected".

Unfortunately he does not have the clout of Mark Russinovich, many of whose Ps utilities (especially PsExec!) would otherwise undoubtedly have been flagged as exhibiting virus-like activity!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

My comment was not meant to disparage any of his efforts nor to discourage anyone from using the programs. It was only meant to make people aware of what may happen.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Even my (now revered) Microsoft Security Essentials flagged one of his utilities when I first started using MSE. I had to add an "exception" to MSE for Nirsoft.Net.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Oops, previous post not completely correct!!!

I've been meaning to add his PASSWORDFOX utility for some time and just never got around to it. In case you're wondering, the Security tab in Firefox settings does NOT show ALL password entries for some reason. And, some are downlevel, I guess until the next time you change it, I don't really know why.

As soon as I started the download, MSE flagged the Zip as dangerous. It does not offer any option except quarantine.

I had to add explicit "exceptions" to MSE for passwordfox.exe, then let MSE do the scan it insisted on doing. It left passwordfox.exe alone and it now does work as advertised and DOES show all Firefox passwords.

As Mr. Sofer said in his blog, I think MSE is objecting to the UPX compression since it specifically mentioned that in the warning.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

JoeP wrote:A couple of his password utilities are often flagged by anti-malware.
Bigaldoc wrote:Even my (now revered) Microsoft Security Essentials flagged one of his utilities when I first started using MSE. I had to add an "exception" to MSE for Nirsoft.Net.
Yep*. Did a full scan once and MSE was way better than me finding PassView in some archive, in an odd folder, on a backup drive. Not remembering the exact name it would've taken me a considerable amount of time to find it. :grin:

I don't use it now, so I haven't added any exception (for future excitement when some anti-malware software finds it again). :compute: :electric: :spook: :laugh:

* I know it's older than MSE; as mentioned in the blog post, that John linked to, there are quite many anti-malware software out there complaining about some of the files.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks from this Bob, too!

I'm thinking I might be in danger of learning more than I want to know about what I've allowed to go on in this computer.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Thanks from this Bob, too!

I'm thinking I might be in danger of learning more than I want to know about what I've allowed to go on in this computer.
Yeah, there's a LOT of info in those scans ( too much for my cranium ) but you can set it up to display only the items that want to see or know what they mean. :scratch: :groan:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.