32 or 64 bit?

hougs
NewLounger

32 or 64 bit?

Post by hougs »

Hi,

A friend of mine works con cuore for an organization who offers computer training to the elderly.
They are in the lucky situation that someone donated a lump sum to purchase a number of new computers to the training room.

Now the question is whether to install Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit.

Are there anyone with good arguments for the one or the other?

Also, in anticipation of the next question; which antivirus and firewall programs they should use.
My first thought would be to advise them to stick with Microsoft Security Essentials. This might be a bit on the daredevil side of things, but I don't want to advise them to load I don't know how much double-protection on the systems. (Well, I know that one cannot get too many guards up, but here it is also a question of maintaining the stuff).

Regards,
hougs

PS:
I reckon this discussion has been a hot topic some years ago, but doing a search in the lounge on 32 bit or 64 bit didn't yield any results. Hence, I dare stick my head out and ask :smile:

HansV
Administrator

Re: 32 or 64 bit?

Post by HansV »

The main advantage of 64-bit Windows is that it can handle more memory than 32-bit Windows.
32-bit Windows can address at most 4 GB of RAM, and since at least 0.5 GB is reserved by the operating system, the maximum usable memory is 3 to 3.5 GB.
If the PCs you're going to buy have 4 GB of RAM or less, there is nothing to be gained by installing 64-bit Windows. Conversely, if you choose 32-bit Windows, it's useless to install more than 4 GB of RAM.
I have a PC with 8 GB of RAM and 64-bit Windows 7 works very well on it.

As to security, I'd stick with the built-in Windows Firewall and install Microsoft Security Essentials. This combo works efficiently and unobtrusively on Windows 7. In the 2 years I've been using Windows 7, I never felt the need to switch to third-party security software. (I do run a scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware from time to time; it has never found anything yet.)
Best wishes,
Hans

hougs
NewLounger

Re: 32 or 64 bit?

Post by hougs »

Hans

Thankyou for your reply.
Your reply is in line with my own thoughts on the subject. It is nice, however, to be either confirmed or corrected. I hadn't thought of the firewall - since XP that is something that is there, toiling away in the background and give me more time to go about my own business.
I will let your reply be the one I pass on to my friend.

Regards,
Hougs