Standby

uncle
3StarLounger

Standby

Post by uncle »

(Win XP Pro)

If I'm not using the computer for several hours, is it recommended I put it in Standby?

Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Standby

Post by HansV »

I myself never use Standby. If I leave the computer for a short period of time, I lock it (WinKey+L) and turn off the monitor. If I won't use it for a longer period of time, I simply shut it down.

Please stand by for more replies - others may well have a different opinion.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't do either. My computer is in my home and I'm (usually) the only user. I let it run 24/7 using a screensaver to "conserve" the monitor but I don't think even that is necessary.

I don't worry about the electricity use.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Standby will save some electricity, and take seconds to restart.

Hibernating would reduce the amount of electricity used almost to zero, but it would take almost as long to start again as a power-up.

Some computers are not very good at either snoozing operation, but most don't have a problem (e.g. Dell Optiplexes).
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

At work, I boot my PC every morning and then leave it on until I go home again at the end of the day. During the day a screen saver kicks in and locks the PC if it's left alone for a short period of time. If I leave for a little longer, say I'm in a meeting, it behaves as set out in the Control Panel 'Power Options' applet.

At home, the PC is booted, used, then fully shut down each time it is required but I can't remember the last time it was booted more than twice in one day.

Both machines are XP (Pro at work, MCE at home).

Ken

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Depending on use, and hardware, turning off the screen could be a good start; it could also be done in steps, using some or all of these examples:
  • Screensaver, with or without password, or simply lock, as mentioned by Hans (since it might take some time before it kicks in) but has nothing to do with saving anything.
  • Monitor off.
  • Standby.
  • Hibernation.
Old monitors, CRT, in combination with CPU, drives and other hardware can consume quite a bit of energy if running all the time; but whether that is important or not is an individual matter. It's important to know that the Standby mode will not save any data, so if the power go off all unsaved changes will be lost, same as with a running PC. On the other hand, System Hibernation will save everything in memory to a file on the drive, but will take a bit longer to close and resume, compared to Standby.

The pros and cons as I see it are: Standby mode is quick, and if there's a password, the PC is closed and secured within seconds, and it resumes far quicker than anything else (apart from monitor off). However as mentioned the data isn't secured, saved, so one would have to do that before invoking standby, or before leaving it idle if Standby is part of the schedule.

One thing is certain, if you are not using the computer for several hours you should save your data, use hibernation, or shut it off, anything that involves saving data.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.