range, domain or scope of folder windows

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

range, domain or scope of folder windows

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I recall from maths many years ago that we spoke of the range and the domain of a function.

What would be the correct Windows collective-noun(?) to describe the area of the hard drive bounded by a folder.
When I discuss the path "T:\Greaves\Clients\" I think of the folder "Clients" being the parent folder for every client-folder.
So if I say I am going to apply some process to the folder identified by the path "T:\Greaves\Clients" and to all its sub-folders (representing clients of mine), should I say that I am going to apply the process to the
  • Range of the folder
  • Domain of the folder
  • Scope of the folder
  • Context of the folder
  • Tree of the folder
  • other?
I am feeling hesitant about "domain", because Windows networking uses Domains in its context, I believe.
Thanks In Anticipation.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 22 Nov 2011, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: range, domain or scope of folder windows

Post by HansV »

I don't think there is a widely used noun for this, let alone a (semi-, demi- or hemi-)official one. I generally use "a folder and all its subfolders" (which is implicitly interpreted to be recursive).
Of the ones you propose, I like "scope" best, but I fear that Eileen's Lounge is too small to popularize its usage... :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Not sure what (technically) you mean when you use the word "say." If it's to be in a descriptive document or narrative, what's wrong with the term you've already used: sub-folders? I also frequently see such underlying sub-folders called "child folders" but that seems a bit juvenile (pun intended) to me.

I kinda like "sub-folders."

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:I don't think there is a widely used noun for this,
Thanks for the confirmation, Hans.
I'm going to go with "context' for now.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:I kinda like "sub-folders."
Hi Al, and thanks for the feedback. I want to use a single word to describe (in a user-guide) where a rule takes effetc.

Think of Auto-correct in MSWord.
An entry in auto-correct takes effect in every MSWord document in every folder on every drive on your computer, right?
Now imagine that you could cause an entry to take effect ONLY in documents in the folder "\T:\Greaves\Training\MicrosoftExcelVBA\", or ONLY in documents in the folder "T:\Greaves\Training\" and all sub-folders, or only in the one document "T:\Greaves\Training\MicrosoftExcelVBA\ExcelVBALibraries\ExcelVBALibrariesFlyer.doc".
(What a neat tool THAT would be!).

For any one auto-correct rule I'd want to say:
This rule takes effect only in the context of "T:\Greaves\Training\"
Where by "context" I mean that any document whose full path included ""T:\Greaves\Training\"" as its left-most part.