Need a Good Strategy for Subfolders in Program Files

BobH
UraniumLounger

Need a Good Strategy for Subfolders in Program Files

Post by BobH »

With the ongoing recovery of my laptop, I'm considering a change to the way I install software, that is, I'm considering setting up subfolders within Program Files to make it easier to find those tools, utilities and such that I know I have installed but have trouble finding.

I was thinking that I could set up subfolders for Major Packages (Office et al), Disk Management, Utilities, Tools, Diagnostics . . . you get the idea.

I wondered if anyone here has such a strategy and what you would recommend. I like to keep a group of the most used programs and folders in the system tray where I can easily find them. It just seems to me that grouping the folders will make it much easier to find the ones I use less often. It will require some care during download and installs, but that is a one time price as opposed to an Easter Egg hunt every time I need to find one.

Ideas?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Need a Good Strategy for Subfolders in Program Files

Post by HansV »

I don't think it's necessary to organize the Program Files folder - I generally let applications install themselves in the default location.

But you can, of course, reorganize the All Programs menu, and create other groups of shortcuts - on the desktop, or in taskbar toolbars, etc.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can only say that I've done it in the past and it's much more "work" than it's worth.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Software developers do almost all of their testing using the default configuration. Even though it should work when you change the installation folder, you may well be the first one to try some particular combination, so you may have more problems than everyone else.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Best strategy I've found as as everyone else has said, let the apps install themselves as they wish into \program Files but reorganise the shortcuts to the apps on your Start menu / desktop / Quick Launch toolbar / etc to how ever works best for you.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I can only add that I very seldom refer to the Program Files folder anymore. Most developers have moved anything that an end user might need to common data file locations (which vary slightly by OS version).

Joe
Joe