Windows 8 and IE

cisy
StarLounger

Windows 8 and IE

Post by cisy »

I have a spare PC with Windows 8 installed. Yesterday I reformatted the hard disk and reinstalled Windows 8 again. However, when I started IE, it remembered those websites that I had visited before the reinstallation. Does MS track my records and associate them with my Windows Live account?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 8 and IE

Post by HansV »

I'm not sure this is a Windows problem.

Do you have a Google account, for example a Gmail account? Unless you explicitly turn it off, Google stores your browsing and search history on their servers.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

cisy wrote:I have a spare PC with Windows 8 installed. Yesterday I reformatted the hard disk and reinstalled Windows 8 again. However, when I started IE, it remembered those websites that I had visited before the reinstallation. Does MS track my records and associate them with my Windows Live account?
I agree with Hans.
if you reformatted and restored IE, I don't think MS stores any info except what is on your own hard drive and the reformat would take care of that.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

cisy
StarLounger

Post by cisy »

I do have a google account but I did not login before and after reformatting the hard disk. After I reformatted the hdd and reinstalled Windows8, I went to the Internet using IE (10). When I typed in a web address (first time on IE 10 right after installation), the address bar automatically popped up those sites that I had visited before the reformat. All my browsing history and cookies should have been deleted during the reformat and installation, right? If so, where were they being stored?

The only link that I can think of is my Windows Live account. During installation, Windows 8 asked for my Live.com ID.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I didn't know that Windows Live stored your browser history on its servers, but apparently it does... I'm curious to see if someone can confirm (or deny) this.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

IIRC, the Live toolbar, now called the Bing Toolbar, would save your favorites. It is still on the Live Essentials web page but has a download package separate from Live Essentials.

Joe
Joe

cisy
StarLounger

Post by cisy »

but I did not use the Bing Toolbar and did not save any favorites at all. I had not downloaded the Live Essentials either.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I haven't been able to find anything about online storage of browsing history as a feature of either Windows 8 or Internet Explorer 10, so I'm stumped...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:I haven't been able to find anything about online storage of browsing history as a feature of either Windows 8 or Internet Explorer 10, so I'm stumped...
Found this in a Win 8 "features" list.
---------------------------------------
With Windows 8, we are working to change that—you will be able to have your personal Windows experience on any Windows 8 PC you sign in to with your Windows Live ID. Settings such as your lock screen picture, desktop background, user tile, browser favorites and history, spell check dictionaries, Explorer settings, mouse settings, and accessibility settings, among many others are now associated with your Windows 8 account and stored in the cloud. They are kept in sync and come down to each machine you use as they are changed or updated.
----------------
Underline is mine.
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ah, that explains it - good find, Bob!
Best wishes,
Hans

cisy
StarLounger

Post by cisy »

I am re-installing Win8 on my PC right now. I have noticed a msg on screen asking for my Windows Live ID. It states that "Windows Live will sync some settings like your browser favorites and history across the PCs you use." So Windows Live does keep track of the browser history.

That may have an issue about security. If I have installed Win8 on one PC and used it for a while, Live would have kept all the info. If someone then stole my Live ID and password and installed Win8 on his PC, he would have known which banks and possibly other info that I had transactions with on the web? :flee:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

cisy wrote:I am re-installing Win8 on my PC right now. I have noticed a msg on screen asking for my Windows Live ID. It states that "Windows Live will sync some settings like your browser favorites and history across the PCs you use." So Windows Live does keep track of the browser history.

That may have an issue about security. If I have installed Win8 on one PC and used it for a while, Live would have kept all the info. If someone then stole my Live ID and password and installed Win8 on his PC, he would have known which banks and possibly other info that I had transactions with on the web? :flee:
I suppose that's possible.
Don't forget Windows 8 is still in development and much has to be done before final release to the public.
I definitely wouldn't be using it for ANYTHING that would have a security question as yet.
I also still have questions/doubts about Cloud storage security right now.
BOB